BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically, for a 328; but at this point I'll accept a sound clip of any CAI. I'd like to treat myself to a Dinan chip download and CAI for my b-day, but don't want to make any $500 mistake.

I must admit that I am sensitive to annoying little noises (like creaks and rattles) and am not satisfied with just turning the volume up. So, opinions are welcome, but a link to a sound clip would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Noflash

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't have time to do an audio recording, but the Dinan CAI is my favorite mod to date. I had the RD exhaust before the CAI and it really didn't change the sound that much.

Once I installed the Dinan CAI (about a 3-4 hour install with breaks) my sound from 4k-6k is amazing.

I get compliments all the time.:thumbup: The CAI was $350 from BMW Sterling with 15% CCA.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I have been reading the search results on "Dinan CAI" and I am seeing a trend.
- 323s get the best results
- 328s get good results w/ little sound increase
- 325s get good results
- 330s get mostly sucking noise (autos get better results than 5sp)

Anyone agree/disagree?

PS thanks for your input OPTIMO!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Sound of Dinan's 330 Upgrades

toddv said:
Holy crap! That sounds hell-at wicked. I couldn't quite make out the sucking sound at idle, but I think I might be able to live with it. I'll just have to redline it often to remind myself.

Thanks for the effort of recording. I thought I was SOL.

I think I am sold.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've got a laptop but not mic with a ¼" jack on it. All my mics are XLR. Hmmm, I really want to take a couple sounds clips.:sad:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Re: Re: Sound of Dinan's 330 Upgrades

NoFlash, the sucking sound is probably the loudest just off idle. For example, when you're pulling away from the house, but not yet getting after it - say, just putting along.

I attempted a recording of this with the mic in front of the air intake duct, but I got too much wind noise. I was going to place it inside the air dam, but never got to it. Maybe once the rain lets up.

Glad you liked the sound bites. :thumbup: Want to really be sold on getting a CAI? Have someone get after it while you're standing on the side of the road. You'll really hear the roar. Sure, you can get a good feeling with the windows down, but it's not the same as seeing pedestrian's eyes bug out when you stomp it :D This way, you'll know what's going thru their minds! Something along the lines of, "HOLY SH!T"

noflash said:
I couldn't quite make out the sucking sound at idle, but I think I might be able to live with it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
HEY JASON

OPTIMO said:
I've got a laptop but not mic with a ¼" jack on it. All my mics are XLR. Hmmm, I really want to take a couple sounds clips.:sad:
Yah, I know what you mean. Once I got the itch to sample some sounds, I couldn't rest until I got 'em done. I'd lay in bed at night dreaming up the best conditions/locations to record. My 1/4" mic cord is 6 1/2 feet long, so I could run the laptop from the center console - tapping the record/stop button with my finger. Getting a good clip at off-idle will be tricky though. I'll try it this week and post it here.

It's been over a month since your last post when you promised us a sound clip of your ride. :dunno: j/k I'm looking forward to it, as I'd love to hear the difference between your CAI/RD exhaust combo vs. my poor man's CAI/330 sport exhaust (plugged valve). Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Want to really be sold on getting a CAI? Have someone get after it while you're standing on the side of the road. You'll really hear the roar. Sure, you can get a good feeling with the windows down, but it's not the same as seeing pedestrian's eyes bug out when you stomp it This way, you'll know what's going thru their minds! Something along the lines of, "HOLY SH!T"
I couldn't agree more.

It's been over a month since your last post when you promised us a sound clip of your ride. j/k I'm looking forward to it, as I'd love to hear the difference between your CAI/RD exhaust combo vs. my poor man's CAI/330 sport exhaust (plugged valve). Thanks!
I think I have located a cheap mic that should suffice (hopefully). I won't have time until Friday night/Saturday morning, but I'll go for a drive and record away.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost forgot -- what about cruising on the interstate with the RPMs around 3000. My engine is nice and quiet now. It won't roar for my whole commute will it?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mine sounds virtually stock until 3,900 or so then it comes alive.:D

It also has a louder sound if you "step on it" as opposed to easing into acceleration.

·
Registered
396 Posts
noflash said:
Thanks guys. Now, toddv, can we please get a larger pic of your delivery person?!?
:yikes: << Work Warning >> :yikes:
http://www.nntp69.us/content/liveframe.cgi/UPS_Girl

noflash said:
Almost forgot -- what about cruising on the interstate with the RPMs around 3000. My engine is nice and quiet now. It won't roar for my whole commute will it?
Not really. However, you will hear some sucking though.
Originally posted by OPTIMO
It also has a louder sound if you "step on it" as opposed to easing into acceleration.
I agree. Hit that kick-down and watch out!

·
Registered
396 Posts
NoFlash - New Sound Clips of Dinan CAI

toddv said:
NoFlash, the sucking sound is probably the loudest just off idle. For example, when you're pulling away from the house, but not yet getting after it - say, just putting along.
Dinan CAI off-idle sucking sound
Want to really be sold on getting a CAI? Have someone get after it while you're standing on the side of the road. You'll really hear the roar. Sure, you can get a good feeling with the windows down, but it's not the same as seeing pedestrian's eyes bug out when you stomp it :D This way, you'll know what's going thru their minds! Something along the lines of, "HOLY SH!T"
Nailing It @ 15 MPH

·
Registered
396 Posts
So, what are you using as an exhaust now? If back to stock, have you plugged your vacuum hose to the exhaust? And if so, how does this now compare to your old Dinan exhaust?

From Webpage
<< Notes: Listening to someone driving away in the car, the muffler is barely audible. Inside the car the resonance is pretty loud under load. Too much for me, that's why I removed it. >>
31st330i said:
I have a few sounds (including a CAI sound) posted here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~pmbenn/sounds.htm

the page is down at the moment but will be back up tomorrow (1-1-03).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts