E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just transferred to a new job location almost 50 miles from where I live and all I can drive is my 330ci. All the threads I am finding on here are just about performance and rim styles. I love my car but not enough to spend more than 100 bucks per tire. I have been researching for tires that last longer. I pretty much drive a straight line to and from work and that's about it. Can anyone help me find some "economy" tires. Sizes are 225/45/17 and 245/40/17. These tires have a tread life rating of 560 Yokohama AVID ENVigor (W), but im not really sure how many miles I can squeeze out of these or if there are any harder compounds that are cheaper that 110 each. Any input would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about this, what's the smallest size rim that i can fit on my car? I know there has to be longer lasting tires in a 16" or even a 15".

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Very few 16" rims will fit your car. Just stick with 17" and stop being so cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im sorry were not all made of money. I bought
this car 3 years ago while I lived at school. I have massive student loan debt and a newborn to worry about, not tires. My job dosent pay but 2k a month and I am barley skimming by so this burden of tires is the least of my worries. I wasn't asking for information about being a cheap ass just cheap tires that will probably be replaced every 6 months because how far I drive. It dosent make sense for me to sell or trade my car after all the parts that I have paid out the ass to replace. I just wanted to know what tire was the cheapest.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discount tires has the Kumho Ecsta ASX for a reasonable price. They are quiet, and have a mileage warranty of 40k. I had them on my e30 convertible, in 16", when I was commuting about 45 miles a day. They will last a long time, I used them for approx 30k, before I sold my little e30.

You get what you pay for, just because its cheap now, does not mean it will last. I would go with a tire that has a mileage rating, something non performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you that was the kinda reply i was looking for. Im gonna look into them tires 40k tires are exactly what i need. My last set of coopers cost me almost 500 for the rear
and lasted 5 months. Thanks

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Try Riken Raptors. Those are the same size as mine and they came on my car. Have since replaced the rears. Pretty darn cheap. Not to loud and grip pretty good. Mine have lasted a good while.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Der Meisterstück
2,399 Posts
In general almost any all season tire should fit what you are looking for. It would be in your best interest to stick to better known brands of tires than to go with stuff like Nankang.

Keep in mind that with the harder compound, there is a trade off of less noticeable traction. Granny driving will be in your best interest as there is little to no grip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, I wasn't aware that 225 would fit on the 245 rear. Is there no danger in putting a narrower tire on a wider rim?

·
Registered
318 Posts
How about this, what's the smallest size rim that i can fit on my car? I know there has to be longer lasting tires in a 16" or even a 15".
ill sell you some 16" in mint condition with good tires for 350 shipped

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
No danger...handling suffers.

Coupes eat rear tires for some reason. In addition with going with a square setup, you may want to try and dial out some of the OEM negative rear camber.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts