BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 328ci my engine is over heating... and leaking coolant.. the reason this all started is the fan wasn’t plugged in the sensor got unplugged and it over heated and exploded on the side of the road... coolant was everywhere. Since then I bought a new expansion tank and expansion tank mount because the old one broke comming off.. i am still leaking. I can’t find the right o rings at auto zone or anywhere. They don’t have them! My car is still overheating and leaking.. I think it may need a thermostat or water pump because it’s still overheating and when I tried to bleed the system I noticed there was no heat. I’m 18 years old and can’t really afford to have it fixed at a shop and i am more of a do it myself kind of guy. Anybody know anything that could help? Also I had to take the transmission cooler off to install it and now it’s throwing the transmission light at me...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just know enough to get into trouble.

What O-ring you need? Isn't it new parts came with o-ring?

I thought it would come with it too but it didn***8217;t I bought the box from autozone they said they didn***8217;t have the o rings they don***8217;t carry them I bought a pack but the sizes were all messed up. It***8217;s still leaking

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long ago did you buy the car?

How many miles have you put on it since then?
I bought the car in March it had to sit for awhile because I couldn***8217;t afford the insurance I finally got insurance in August and 3 days later it overheated and has been broken since. I still went out and started the car and cleaned it just never drove it on the road. I put about 90 miles on... since I got it

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I thought it would come with it too but it didn't I bought the box from autozone they said they didn't have the o rings they don't carry them I bought a pack but the sizes were all messed up. It's still leaking
You're not very helpful in answering, so others can understand your problem and offer helps.

What o-ring do you need?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Did the car have any problems when you bought it? List all problems out here so we can help.

the electric fan didn't work when you bought it?
No inspection before buying?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're not very helpful in answering, so others can understand your problem and offer helps.

What o-ring do you need?
Well thanks... I believe I need the o ring that goes into the expansion tank box for the Lower hose

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the car have any problems when you bought it? List all problems out here so we can help.

the electric fan didn't work when you bought it?
No inspection before buying?
The only problems it had was it Needed brakes and well still does.. but they still have some life left. I believe the fan worked when I bought it. The fan was not turning on but the sensor was unplugged and I plugged it back in and it went right on.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
car is auto or manual tranny?

I believe there is only one small hose to the lower part of the tank -- the heater return I think. This o-ring is not come with the tank; it is inside the old hose on your car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
car is auto or manual tranny?

I believe there is only one small hose to the lower part of the tank -- the heater return I think. This o-ring is not come with the tank; it is inside the old hose on your car.
Automatic I think you right I may just need new hoses. I don’t know if this will fix the over heating though..

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
The only problems it had was it Needed brakes and well still does.. but they still have some life left. I believe the fan worked when I bought it. The fan was not turning on but the sensor was unplugged and I plugged it back in and it went right on.
1) You don't need new brakes. you need new brake pads.
2) the fan was working, then why you disconnected the wires?
3) You drove the newly bought used car and didn't pay any attention to the temperature gauge as it moving to the red overheat zone?
4) I will ask President Trump to change the law: 25 or old to have driver license.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effduration View Post
Okay Fuzwuz, take a breath here...

These cars don't take overheats very well. If they overheat for more than 30-60 seconds, it's rare you can simply fix them by replacing reservoirs or hoses or thermostat. What happens when thee cars overheat is the head warps or the head gasket leaks. both are very expensive fixes, let's hope that's not your issue.

Here is what I would do:

1. Where is it leaking right now?...with the car running at idle at operating temp - but not overheating - where is the leak? fix that leak.
2. Have you bled the cooling system properly? you cannot simply add coolant to these cars, it MUST be bled. Search on-line
3. If after bleeding, it still overheats, go borrow a compression tester from Autozone and measure compression in all 6 cylinders..or pay a mechanic to do it.
4. report back your findings

(your answer)
It looks like it's leaking from the bottom hose on the expansion tank. And yeah I know about the head gaskets... and warping the heads. I don't think I did. As soon as I noticed my car was in the red I shut it off. I start the car once in a while to move parking spots and it runs fine runs great just over heats so I don't believe I warped the heads or blew the head gasket.. I've been putting water in it because it leaks out and I don't have money to waste in coolant. I did bleed it I took the bleeder screw off until bubbles came out. And put more in. I fixed all the leaks at one point and I went for a drive and it strting getting hot and then leaking again.... I bleed it I believe properly... turned the heat up but the heat wasn't working..

I moved this convo over from your other thread on the topic.

If you have no heat you either didn't bleed it properly and have a bubble or your thermostat is bad. You did not mention ignition on and turning the temp all the way up with fan on low as part of the BMW bleed procedure. Read up on the proper procedure and Try bleeding again.

It's fine to use cheap distilled water until you figure it out

I understand you are broke, but you are not going to fix this for free.

That reservoir from autozone may not do the trick - you can fiddle with o-ring, but maybe you buy the correct part at fcpeuro. A used one at a junkyard might even be better than an autozone part without the o-ring ( Edit: as others noted, maybe the o-ring is in the hose, so maybe the autozone part will work)

Don't dismiss the idea that your head is warped or headgasket leaks. You have no way of knowing unless you do a compression test which is cheap with a borrowed tester.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1) You don't need new brakes. you need new brake pads.
2) the fan was working, then why you disconnected the wires?
3) You drove the newly bought used car and didn't pay any attention to the temperature gauge as it moving to the red overheat zone?
4) I will ask President Trump to change the law: 25 or old to have driver license.
I know... and I know how to change brake pads I’ve done brake pads on a couple different cars before. And obviously the wires fell out somehow why would i dissconect them..... and 3 I did that’s why I pulled over and stoped... 4 also trump dosnt have enough power to change the law like that... and I was going to change the water pump and thermostat myself but I wanted to make sure that’s what I needed before I spend money I don’t have on parts that are fine. The car has almost 200 k miles on it....

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Automatic I think you right I may just need new hoses. I don’t know if this will fix the over heating though..
why do you need a new hose? did the hose get damage when the tank with 5 lbs of TNT exploded? You have to be careful here b/c a wrong answer and you will lose your license.

·
Registered
950 Posts
One step at a time. Just to square away a couple things. I know you said you have automatic transmission. This normally implies that you have both mechanical (i.e. belt driven) fan and electric fan. Is this correct? So electric fan was unplugged but the mechanical fan is still running? Go ahead and try "newspaper" test on your mechanical fan just to verify it has minimum function. And the electric fan is running (should anyways turn on when AC is turned on)?

And, unless you want to write the car off, you really don't want to drive these cars when overheating. However, not infrequently, the issue is as simple as not all air being bleed from the system. So start there -- find procedure on this forum and bleed it again. After all that is the cheapest way to fix this issue. And DO NOT overfill with coolant -- fill ONLY to the minimum line (or you will be replacing the expansion tank again soon). And, just so you'll know, lots of reported issues with aftermarket expansion tanks. You can usually get OEM quality for almost the same price.

Expansion Tank 17117573781 Rein $31.74

Most of us replace following items together for worry-free driving. Here's what you might need (OEM quality parts):

BMW Water Pump 11517509985 Rein $36.39
BMW Thermostat Assembly 11537509227 Mahle Behr $47.99

And you should be able to get the work done in an afternoon.

Wild cards would be the condition of fans, hoses, and radiator. The transmission thermostat probably broke when changing the expansion tank (they typically do). But given circumstances, just run without unless in a cold climate. Here is the info anyway:

BMW Auto Trans Oil Cooler Thermostat (E46) - OEM 17111437362 $32.99

And yeah, use distilled water until everything is sorted. But at some point:

Coolant/Antifreeze (1 Gallon)* 82141467704 FcpEuro BMW $23.39

GL

Edit: And BTW, go to following website to lookup part numbers for nearly everything on your car, http://realoem.com Once you have the pn, it's easy to search online for the part and prices.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This car likely had a bad head gasket before he bought it, hidden by goop-in-a-can.

The previous owner had it fixed up the cooling system just enough to sell it.

The expansion tank exploded and other parts are leaking because the system is being over-pressured.

It's never "the system just needs to be bled". The system might need to be bled, but only a single time after coolant is added to a drained system. A properly sealed system never needs to be bled later.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
One step at a time. Just to square away a couple things. I know you said you have automatic transmission. This normally implies that you have both mechanical (i.e. belt driven) fan and electric fan. Is this correct? So electric fan was unplugged but the mechanical fan is still running? Go ahead and try "newspaper" test on your mechanical fan just to verify it has minimum function. And the electric fan is running (should anyways turn on when AC is turned on)?

And, unless you want to write the car off, you really don't want to drive these cars when overheating. However, not infrequently, the issue is as simple as not all air being bleed from the system. So start there -- find procedure on this forum and bleed it again. After all that is the cheapest way to fix this issue. And DO NOT overfill with coolant -- fill ONLY to the minimum line (or you will be replacing the expansion tank again soon). And, just so you'll know, lots of reported issues with aftermarket expansion tanks. You can usually get OEM quality for almost the same price.

Expansion Tank17117573781Rein$31.74

Most of us replace following items together for worry-free driving. Here's what you might need (OEM quality parts):

BMW Water Pump 11517509985 Rein $36.39
BMW Thermostat Assembly 11537509227 Mahle Behr $47.99

And you should be able to get the work done in an afternoon.

Wild cards would be the condition of fans, hoses, and radiator. The transmission thermostat probably broke when changing the expansion tank (they typically do). But given circumstances, just run without unless in a cold climate. Here is the info anyway:

BMW Auto Trans Oil Cooler Thermostat (E46) - OEM 17111437362 $32.99

And yeah, use distilled water until everything is sorted. But at some point:

Coolant/Antifreeze (1 Gallon)*82141467704FcpEuroBMW$23.39

GL

Edit: And BTW, go to following website to lookup part numbers for nearly everything on your car, http://realoem.com Once you have the pn, it's easy to search online for the part and prices.
I know you're on a budget, but if you buy your cooling system parts from FCP you can return them if the car is beyond repair.

Sent from my SM-G950U using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
"My car is still overheating and leaking"

Do you know the correct way to bleed the air out of the coolant? If not done right then no surprise to see overheated engine.
Do you know how to fill the tank not too much?Filled too much then the tank will crack.
Fix the big leak first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts