E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Keep it clean
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

After running them for quite some time, I finally decided to play with the stiffness on my Koni Yellows. Running with H&R Race. I had them set on about 1 turn up front and 1 turn in the rear. I called Koni about initial settings and was told that that was probably way to stiff for sporty daily driving given that I was running the H&Rs. I agree, which is why I was wanting a good starting point. He told me to turn everything to about 1/8-1/4 turn.

Fronts were easy, top adjustable. Removed the rears and removed the RSMs. Adjusted around 1/4 a turn, maybe a tad more (just to try to match up the rate).

After this adjustment, I'm MUCH happier with the car around town. It feels better connected to the road. It's not as jerky under acceleration and my DSC doesn't come on over small bumps. I actually think it handles a bit better.

My problem now, is high speed. On the highway when it gets bumpy around 70mph the car gets bouncy. It feels like my 91 300zx did with blown shocks. My intuition would tell me that the shocks need to be stiffened up just a tad to keep up with the springs, but suspension tuning isn't my strong-suit. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Brady

·
Keep it clean
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, well I feel stupid. I correctly adjusted my fronts to a softer setting. I managed to goof up and put my rears on almost full stiff. No wonder it's bouncy.

Time to adjust again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How do you know where you are in the setting for the rear shocks? Is there a some kind hard stop for the softest or stiffest setting?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Aggie:

Since this thread is on Koni Yellows, figured I'd ask here

Did you mention that your yellows actually raised the car up a bit? Can't decide between the Bilstein sports or Yellows

:hi:

·
Keep it clean
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. When I ran them with stock sport springs, they raised my car.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the H&Rs or the Konis, but I have a bit of a rake.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yes. When I ran them with stock sport springs, they raised my car.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the H&Rs or the Konis, but I have a bit of a rake.
Thanks Aggie!

I'm pulling the trigger on suspension at the end of the month, trying to finalize my list.

I definitely attribute the rake ot the H&Rs, I think I'm going with the Sportline springs for that exact reason

Any side shot pics?

·
Keep it clean
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks Aggie!

I'm pulling the trigger on suspension at the end of the month, trying to finalize my list.

I definitely attribute the rake ot the H&Rs, I think I'm going with the Sportline springs for that exact reason

Any side shot pics?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Can't see it at work :(

I'll take a look when I get home though

Ever thought of removing the rear spring pad to remove some rake?

·
Keep it clean
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, I just haven't had the rear suspension apart since I installed them. I may do it when I do my bushing refresh soon.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yep, I just haven't had the rear suspension apart since I installed them. I may do it when I do my bushing refresh soon.
:thumbup:

Yeah, I did the bushings in the car a while ago, so I think they should still be in good shape

Really hated the Meyle though, especially in the front, went back to OEM and the ride was much nicer

·
Keep it clean
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been loving the Meyle up front. Going to replace all the rears. They're oooooold.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
looks good and id say go with bilsteins because thats just what i have and they are great not dissapointed 1 bit but then again ive never rode on konis so ... :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts