BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So needless to say my brake fluid reservoir is empty. After I install my new caliper can I proceed with filling up the reservoir and then bleeding all the lines or will I have issues getting all the air out of the system?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
So needless to say my brake fluid reservoir is empty. After I install my new caliper can I proceed with filling up the reservoir and then bleeding all the lines or will I have issues getting all the air out of the system?

Thanks guys!
Check for leaks since you just installed calipers.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check for leaks since you just installed calipers.
I haven't put the caliper on yet, I was in the process of removing the old one and in the end all the brake fluid ended up coming out. I wanted to ensure that I could put some fluid in the reservoir and then proceed to bleed one brake at a time. I wasn't sure if having the reservoir empty would cause issues.

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I haven't put the caliper on yet, I was in the process of removing the old one and in the end all the brake fluid ended up coming out. I wanted to ensure that I could put some fluid in the reservoir and then proceed to bleed one brake at a time. I wasn't sure if having the reservoir empty would cause issues.

Thanks!
That's the only way I know to do it...the fact that you got air through the whole system is going to suck. I don't know if the ABS pump will give you fits during bleeding; that may take a bit of research. On E34s I could put the car in the air and spin one wheel to get the pump to cycle, but I haven't tried it on an E46.

Another word of advice- Don't hook up the pressure bleeder and put 20psi to the system to fill it up. Get some fluid in and let it drain down into the calipers if it will. Using the bleeder at high speed will make it bubble and it will continue to be a pain in the arse to bleed.

Hope that helps-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts