BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the 330 engine is inherently louder than the 325 (a little more displacement) or if the 330 factory exhaust is just louder, leading peole to believe the 330 is louder.

Remember the 330 exhaust has the flap and the 325 doesn't. I'm wondering if the flap is only on the 330 because the 330 OEM muffler has less sound deadening material than the 325 OEM muffler or if the mufflers are the same and the 3.0 engine is significantly louder than the 2.5 engine so BMW felt the exhaust flap is was needed for the 3.0.

For those who have heard the same after-market exhausts on 325s and 330's, was there a difference? For example, a UUC TSE on a 325 vs 330 - is the 330 louder?

Does anyone know the answer to this??? :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
There was a thread on bimmer.org a while back

I believe it was John Schafer who checked into this. He showed that all sport models were supposed to get the sports muffler. There is a different part number for it. I have seen some 325's with the sport muffler. I mostly see 325XI's with it but had seen it on sedans and some coupes. I see some 330's with it and some without. I really wonder WTF is up with that. There was never a answer on why this is or if it was a manufacturing error.

I assume the sports muffler would allow more lower end torque? You might want to wait on the club sport muffler that is supposed to come out on the 330i clubsport in 3/03. It's supposed to have a deeper growl and flow better. This is the upgrade that I want. :thumbup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The answer would seem to be found from comparisons of 325 and 330s with the same aftermarket exhausts (since we know they are identical). Many people have the UUC TSE and they must have been together at meets, etc.

For those who have heard the same after-market exhausts on 325s and 330's, was there a difference? i.e., for UUC TSE on a 325 vs 330 - is the 330 any louder?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 325 has a smaller diameter exaust than the 330. The bigger pipes make the 330 sound different.
The complete exaust system would have to be changed to compare the sound of each.
I would guess the 325 would be louder due to the higher compression???????

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't realize they had different diameters. How can the aftermarket exhausts all say they will fit both 325 and 330; I would think a different diameter would mean they couldn't fit both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts