E46 Fanatics Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
It appears that the friggin oil is coming from a cracked and maybe warped VC due to excess pressure in the crankcase. As was suggested some time ago.
Yes that’s the only explanation I can come up with. Too much positive crankcase pressure, the crack and not enough rtv where the vanos, head, and valve cover meet. As far as the cause of too much crank case pressure, I had the catch can routed to manifold pressure with a pcv valve, either the flow on the pcv valve wasn’t enough or things froze Bc of the 10 degree weather we are having. Hence why I have I routed to atmosphere now to eliminate that or see if that was the cause. And it seems to have been.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
For now I am running it to atmosphere just because I would like to see if nothing else got damaged from the incident. I would like to try to put it back into the system in between maf and the throttle body. I think it would work. But so far so good going on 2 weeks now with no oil spray.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330Ci 6m ZHP
27 Posts
For now I am running it to atmosphere just because I would like to see if nothing else got damaged from the incident. I would like to try to put it back into the system in between maf and the throttle body. I think it would work. But so far so good going on 2 weeks now with no oil spray.
Thinking out loud—wouldn’t that cause your throttle body and idle control valve to quickly become covered in crankcase nastiness?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Personally I feel like if you put it after( in terms of flow) where the icv is located it would not get covered in that stuff and really only a vapor comes out of that hose so if anything it would be a fine mist of oil at worst.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Personally I feel like if you put it after( in terms of flow) where the icv is located it would not get covered in that stuff and really only a vapor comes out of that hose so if anything it would be a fine mist of oil at worst.
I’m thinking just a slight source of vacuum to draw out the condensation from building up any more

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
On a side note ever since I rebuilt the engine I’ve had water pump issues. I used original one when I first rebuilt it had no issues, but it scared me to run it because of how old it was, got a graf, coolant came out of the weap hole, warranted it, and same thing. Got a Stewart water pump and same thing. I’ve bled the system properly, like with the key on and jacked up the drivers side and let the bubbles come out and everything. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330Ci 6m ZHP
27 Posts
On a side note ever since I rebuilt the engine I’ve had water pump issues. I used original one when I first rebuilt it had no issues, but it scared me to run it because of how old it was, got a graf, coolant came out of the weap hole, warranted it, and same thing. Got a Stewart water pump and same thing. I’ve bled the system properly, like with the key on and jacked up the drivers side and let the bubbles come out and everything. Any ideas?
Water from the weep hole would mean the pump shaft seal is bad. Maybe try the BMW-branded pump?

101 - 120 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.