E46 Fanatics Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Well I did some investigating and took off the valve cover. Come to realize it is cracked. I just got the new valve cover and gasket set a few days ago and slapped it on the car. Also, I just put a little filter on the end of the catch can so it’s venting to atmosphere. So if it does still spray oil I’ll know it’s something to do with oil pressure. Before I put the valve cover back on I put some die down the timing cover so if it does leak I’ll know, where I guess? So far so good although I have only driven it for one day. I’ll keep you guys posted. I appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Looking forward to an update. I just got back from a snowshoe trek for a couple days and oddly thought of you while in the quiet woods. "Hmm, what's happening with the oil leak guy I recommended dye to?" Heh..

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
12,290 Posts
Found these crankcase pressure specs. I'm going to measure my m54 with the CCV bypass and compare.

Connection method:

I don't know who's instructions these are. That's NOT a good tool. Home made from a oil filler cap.
Inaccurate reading 101.
Sounds harsh, but I've made two the same way.
Inaccurate testing will have you chasing your tail like a dog.

I have the factory (metal) tool.
You're better off measuring through the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Thought so.
Thanks for the update. You used a new gasket I hope.
Yes I did use a new gasket set I used mahle.
Looking forward to an update. I just got back from a snowshoe trek for a couple days and oddly thought of you while in the quiet woods. "Hmm, what's happening with the oil leak guy I recommended dye to?" Heh..
I’ll keep you posted though so far so good. I just drove it to work so, so far so good.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Well, that's the best news of all and I hope you got it! Terrific.

·
Premium Member
10,750 Posts
Well I did some investigating and took off the valve cover. Come to realize it is cracked.
With normal engine the crack will leak little oil due to negative pressure inside, and should not spray as this case. This engine at some points in the drive, the pressure inside the crankcase was up high, probably due to a bad CCV / catch can system.

If you vented the catch can then maybe no more high pressure to crack VC and spay oil.

·
Premium Member
2002 BMW 540Ti, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2001 325Ci
1,032 Posts
With normal engine the crack will leak little oil due to negative pressure inside, and should not spray as this case. This engine at some points in the drive, the pressure inside the crankcase was up high, probably due to a bad CCV / catch can system.

If you vented the catch can then maybe no more high pressure to crack VC and spay oil.
I was also thinking positive crank case pressure under load to cause this, normally cracked covers cause lean condition

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Here’s a pic of the crack. I mean actually it was on a bolt hole. This was on the intake side however. When I took it off it kinda seems like I didn’t put enough rtv where the vanos met the head. So this time I put a little bit more. The valve cover was definitely warped as well. Been driving it for a week and no issues at all with the new vc and vcg. The catch also vented to atmosphere.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.