E46 Fanatics Forum banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
'02 330CI 5MT
18 Posts
Is the check valve installed backwards on your catch can system?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Is the check valve installed backwards on your catch can system?

maybe it was but it could have only went in one way it threaded into the catch can. I put the first pcv valve I had originally put in and so far so good. With no pcv valve at all I had a horrendous squeak at any rpm.

·
Registered
'02 330CI 5MT
18 Posts
Gotcha. I'm quite new to the e46 but just trying to dig into this and bounce some things off you or the other guru's on this forum. You mentioned you did a engine rebuild 3k miles ago- is there a change there's something going on with the camshaft gasket or ledge? Maybe something not torqued and it builds up pressure or fails at certain engine speeds?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I did not ever think about that but I’m almost positive I torqued everything correctly. It just sprayed oil again everywhere so I can only assume now that it isn’t something to do with crankcase pressure. Now the only thing I can think of is oil pressure

·
Registered
2002 325xi
1,518 Posts
Get the dye kit already.

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
It depends on if CCV is stock or home brew, and working or not. You might have a positive pressure crankcase instead of negative with a working stock CCV. Cover the oil dipstick tube with an empty plastic bag tight, and see if running engine will suck the air out of bag or add more into it.
OP, have you tried the bag over the dipstick tube?

·
Registered
2002 325xi
1,518 Posts
Dye kit ordered for the win. You've got an interesting treat ahead of you. Take off any engine covers in the way and lift it up if needed so you can start the engine and then immediately start crawling around watching for the beginning of a green colored seep.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have not done the bag for not due to the fact of at idle if I took off the oil fill cap, I had to pry it off almost with how much crankcase vacuum there is.
Did you connect to manifold vacuum or to the distribution piece on top of the manifold?

I'm curious, why do you guys believe that driving around with that much crankcase vacuum is a good thing?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Did you connect to manifold vacuum or to the distribution piece on top of the manifold?

I'm curious, why do you guys believe that driving around with that much crankcase vacuum is a good thing?
M50 manifold converted, no distribution piece, and all engines have cc vacuum at idle and when under accel it should be neutral.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well good luck then. Your assumptions will affect how you troubleshoot the issue.

Anyone have specs on what the crankcase vacuum in inches of water column pressure should be?

61 - 80 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.