E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Everything I am thinking kind of leads to the solenoid, since the cam sensor in the area and the timing chain tensioner don't spray oil when they leak.
If it sprayed that much oil then you should see it repeating again with engine running, even with the already dirty oily engine. I don't think a crack VC can do this.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
From what I have read, this is a symptom of a faulty exhaust vanos solenoid.
faulty solenoid and leaking are two different problems. If the leak cannot be verified at the solenoid then I would continue investigate instead of dive in and replace part. If the vanos not working then there should be codes popped up.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
I’m considering the vc being cracked but would it have that much pressure to spray everywhere.
It depends on if CCV is stock or home brew, and working or not. You might have a positive pressure crankcase instead of negative with a working stock CCV. Cover the oil dipstick tube with an empty plastic bag tight, and see if running engine will suck the air out of bag or add more into it.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
It depends on if CCV is stock or home brew, and working or not. You might have a positive pressure crankcase instead of negative with a working stock CCV. Cover the oil dipstick tube with an empty plastic bag tight, and see if running engine will suck the air out of bag or add more into it.
OP, have you tried the bag over the dipstick tube?

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Well I did some investigating and took off the valve cover. Come to realize it is cracked.
With normal engine the crack will leak little oil due to negative pressure inside, and should not spray as this case. This engine at some points in the drive, the pressure inside the crankcase was up high, probably due to a bad CCV / catch can system.

If you vented the catch can then maybe no more high pressure to crack VC and spay oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts