E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help!!

I have a 2000 323i with the HK option with a am/fm cassette, I bought an OEM CD Player from a 2002 330ci. The CD Player has a manufacture date of 8/2001 on it.

I removed the trim and unpluged my cassette to find 3 separate cables, one being the main bundle with the push pins that fit perfectly, the second looks like an AM antenna cable thin with a small coax connector and the third is what I believe to be the FM antenna, it is a thick coax type cable.

The CD player only has the thin coax for the AM antenna ( I believe ) to test this theory I plugged in the main bundle plug in and the small AM cable which fit the small coneector on the Business CD player perfectly. I had no place to plug in the thick FM antenna coax! I turned it on and there was no FM reception.

Am I missing something? I am really looking forward to playing CDs and was told by many that is was a simple plug and play. Please help!!!!

:banghead:

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
you can't use the CD player from a MY 2002 you need one from a MY2001 and older.

I have a CD player from a MY2001 in my MY1999 and all the connections fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Not true at all Clem and i think i explained that to you before...very common to have to purchase a wire harness or adpater when installing a new radio...OEM or aftermarket 9 times out of 10 is part of the install process

ddyer248:

first take a picture of the back of your radio and ill circle where your antenna wire is...everything is exactly the same...except for the antenna end...you just buy an adapter and plug in

i suggest you take to a radio shop if you are not sure what you are looking at and have no prior experience with a radio installation

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
He's talking OEM to OEM not aftermarket.

I'm sure he can get an adapter to use the OEM antenna coax to the MY2002 head unit. Without the adapter he will not be able to match the antenna connections.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Clem said:
He's talking OEM to OEM not aftermarket.

I'm sure he can get an adapter to use the OEM antenna coax to the MY2002 head unit. Without the adapter he will not be able to match the antenna connections.

right...did he or i say he was talking about an aftermarket install?:dunno: either way a radio install is a radio install...they all connect the same way

what u said "you can't use the CD player from a MY 2002" that is INCORRRECT....you can use it and its a very simple hook up if you know what your doing or looking at

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
John from jersey said:

what u said "you can't use the CD player from a MY 2002" that is INCORRRECT....you can use it and its a very simple hook up if you know what your doing or looking at
Your right.

What I SHOULD have said is:

"you can't use the CD player from a MY 2002 in an MY2001 or older UNLESS you use an antenna adapter."

Better? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Clem said:

Your right.

What I SHOULD have said is:

"you can't use the CD player from a MY 2002 in an MY2001 or older UNLESS you use an antenna adapter."

Better? :dunno:
ya, much better...now enough education for you today and lets see if we can help this guy out :lmao: :thumbup:

ddyer248: i had to explain this in diagram to someone before when i sold MY 2002 in dash CD player... i may have a pic handy of the back of the radio...ill try to see if i still have it in a past email

in the meantime ...see if u can get a pic of the back of your new radio :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try to get a pic tonight. So, If I understand correctly, all I need is an antenna adaptor? I can probably figure it out if you just tell me who makes an adaptor and what type it is and where exactly it is plugged in to. thank for all you help. Hoping to hear a CD soon.......................

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John,

Thanks for your help! So where exactly does that male end from the Scosche adaptor plug into the MY2002 CD Deck. Their is a small input the I see on the back on the opposite side form the large pin sets.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
ddyer248 said:
Their is a small input the I see on the back on the opposite side form the large pin sets.

your welcome :) pretty sure u are looking at the correct input... if u need to...post a pic of the back of your radio and ill point that out for u as well

Good luck with your install:thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually the Scosche adaptor did not work!!

Neither end of this adaptor is what I needed I even tried to cut and splice the Fm antenna lead coming out from the dash into the correct input for the mini rca plug but it did not work either!

So now I have the OEM Business CD Player installed and only the Cd player works, I will have to take it to a local installer and see if hopefully they can help me.

What a nightmare!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you get the adapter?

I am wondering if you got your radio installed or did you find a correct adapter to install the year 2002 CD radio into your car?

I just purchased a 2002 CD radio as well and need to get the same installation accomplished.

I would appreciate any help you give me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately all I can say is good luck. Right now I have no radio reception. I have to take it to an installer and hopefully he can fix it. Let me know what you do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts