E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went down to the garage to wash my car, but the starter was just "clicking".

The car was in neutral and I squeezed the clutch, but it was still not possible to roll it forwards or backwards :facepalm:

It felt like pushing a car in gear, moved 5-10 cm before it stopped, it seems like the rear right wheel is locked.

The car is in a garage with approx. 0 degrees and I was out driving it two weeks ago without problems. The brake discs are moving in the caliper, so there's no locked/frozen brakes.

My car is a 2000' E46 318 Coupe Manual.

SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT IT COULD BE OR DO HAVE ANY IDEAS?
(Sorry about my English)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The parking brake is a drum inside the rear rotors, so even though the rotor appears to be moving slightly in the caliper, the parking brake might still be stuck...

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Seems like there are two different things going on.
The click from the starter is probably a weak battery.
Check voltage/charge battery.

+1 on the parking brakes.
Jack up rear of car and try to turn the wheels to verify that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems right, ain't enough space between the car and rhe wall to place a jack under it. I'm charging the battery now, so hope it's just low battery level. :bow:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
When was the last time you replaced the clutch? Sounds to me like your throw-out bearing may have failed.
Bought this car a month ago, so I don't really know... But it seemed smooth and okay to me when I was driving it two weeks ago.. :eek:

EDIT: It's also a bit strange to me, since it's just the rear right wheel wich is locked.. (?)

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Throw out bearing? Really? The symptom set is entirely wrong to come to that diagnosis.

This car has two problems, the battery is dead and the parking brakes are frozen shut. I do not understand why one would engage the parking brake inside of a garage where the slab is flat and level. Put the transmission in 1 or R and let well-enough alone.

The parking brake is activated by a cable, and the lubricant inside of the cable freezes so that you can put the parking brake handle down, but the brakes remain engaged. The brake cable on your car is identical to a brake cable on a bicycle, except it is larger, and there is no positive means of releasing the brakes if the cable sticks. Under normal conditions, the springs that release the brakes will pull the cable back, but the springs are not very strong and it is entirely possible for the gunk and goo that is inside of the cable to become frozen to the point where it can overpower the return springs on the brakes -- meaning that the brakes will remain engaged even if the brake handle is released.

The throw out bearing is not the problem here. It might be a problem, but the OP has not given any symptom to support this conclusion for this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Throw out bearing? Really? The symptom set is entirely wrong to come to that diagnosis.

This car has two problems, the battery is dead and the parking brakes are frozen shut. I do not understand why one would engage the parking brake inside of a garage where the slab is flat and level. Put the transmission in 1 or R and let well-enough alone.

The parking brake is activated by a cable, and the lubricant inside of the cable freezes so that you can put the parking brake handle down, but the brakes remain engaged. The brake cable on your car is identical to a brake cable on a bicycle, except it is larger, and there is no positive means of releasing the brakes if the cable sticks. Under normal conditions, the springs that release the brakes will pull the cable back, but the springs are not very strong and it is entirely possible for the gunk and goo that is inside of the cable to become frozen to the point where it can overpower the return springs on the brakes -- meaning that the brakes will remain engaged even if the brake handle is released.

The throw out bearing is not the problem here. It might be a problem, but the OP has not given any symptom to support this conclusion for this problem.
I just have to say, the parking brakes haven't been used, I've just parked the car in gear. But, well, I think the parking brake is stuck. Might be tightened up to much. I'm pretty sure it's not frozen either :)

Thanks for the help, Folks!! :bow:

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
It's a brake, unless it's broke then it's a break.

You have to raise the car to see if the brake is the trouble, or something else. Using the scale of the easy-and-cheap-stuff-breaks-first, you have to diagnose the parking brake first. It might not be the problem, but with what you have said so far this is where I would go next. Dead battery and frozen of maladjusted parking brake.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
When was the last time you replaced the clutch? Sounds to me like your throw-out bearing may have failed.
Even if the clutch didn't engage, the wheels should spin in neutral.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Clutch is engaging fine because OP said he heard the "click,click" when he turned the key. If the clutch didn't engage it wouldn't even allow the starter to click. Throw out bearing is not the case by the symptoms OP described.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, you were all right! :)

The problem was a stuck parking brake... Just had to knock on the drum while pushing the car forwards and bakwards, so I think it's a rusty wire or something :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts