BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I just joined the e46 crew with my 325 touring. The car has lots of history and everything that’s needed doing has been done, cooling system, vanos rebuild and disa valve upgrade etc, drove it home for 2 hours it purred fine, next day took it to bmw to book a recall on it which is 5 mins down the road then I got back, sat at idle for a while then this rattle appeared out of nowere, probably a shoddy video as you can’t see the engine but does anyone recognise this sound? Link below

325 rattle video

any help is much appreciated!
Mav

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys so I just joined the e46 crew with my 325 touring. The car has lots of history and everything that’s needed doing has been done, cooling system, vanos rebuild and disa valve upgrade etc, drove it home for 2 hours it purred fine, next day took it to bmw to book a recall on it which is 5 mins down the road then I got back, sat at idle for a while then this rattle appeared out of nowere, probably a shoddy video as you can’t see the engine but does anyone recognise this sound? Link below

325 rattle video

any help is much appreciated!
Mav

So had a little look and it looks like the reminants of some plastic housing is caught between the belt, I think low idle rev causes it to vibrate, this could be the culprit, even if not, something to sort out

·
Registered
462 Posts
That would certainly make a sound.

Any idea of where that plastic part came from / belongs? I can't identify it from that picture, but if you share some pics after you get the remnants out maybe we can ID it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So we reckon it could be the plastic pipe on passenger side which feeds from the bumper to the alternator which cools it. Gonna take off the airbox to get some more room as I have no tools to jack it up currently, they are only held up by plastic half turn screws previous owner has told me, so cross fingers this is an easy fix!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i just found this on another discussion and it matches pretty well with the photo, could be onto a winner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: So I can confirm it is the alternator duct pipe thats worked loose and has been grinding against the belt, is there a way that I can somehow remove and replace without taking the bumper off? (novice mechanic here)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Maverex,
Yes it just snaps onto the brake duct and alternator housing. Just grab it from the bottom and yank on it, should come right off. But honestly if it's on the P/S pulley like that its probably already loose and might just fall off into your hands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maverex,
Yes it just snaps onto the brake duct and alternator housing. Just grab it from the bottom and yank on it, should come right off. But honestly if it's on the P/S pulley like that its probably already loose and might just fall off into your hands.
Yep your right with a bit of force and half my arm taken off in the process it pulled out! Another one ordered, I feel will be a slightly more labour intense job then this ha! Cheers everyone, rattle now sorted!

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
You will have much better luck going back in from the bottom, I think. Use ramps or jackstands and remove the bellypan for access.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts