BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gidday,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on a problem that has occurred twice now with my 2000 330ci. During low speed and under no power which happened to be both times turning into a side street the car has just 'switched off' with no warning. This means the engine has just stopped. Naturally i lost power steering also, so both times ive just pulled over to the side of the road.
Obviously not wanting to cause any harm to the vehicle ive instinctively turned off the key. Then waiting a few seconds, ive started the car just fine with no warnings or anything coming up.

A brief history.

Prior to this happening the first time, about 30mins before, i had the oil light come on, so i immediately pulled over and shut it down and checked the oil. There happened to be very very little in there. So i filled it up and put some new oil in it. (not sure why this was the case)

About 3 weeks later after this, i tried starting my car in a friends driveway (after which i had been driving around town that day) and it wouldnt start. It just clicked in the engine bay. A roadside assist came, and checked it over and jump started it. Basically the alternator was screwed, and was being intermittent. It then went in to get fixed at BMW.

Just the other day (1 month after the alternator being fixed) the car did exactly the same thing, turned off while turning into a side street. I checked oil then and it was at a suitable level. (Both times whilst turning it was not a sharp bend or anything unnatural).

There is no noticeable leakage of oil, the car is not smoking, and the exhaust is clean.

Does anyone know if the car has an auto shut down system if something is not adding up, and the car does this to look after vital parts if there is infact a major problem occurring? Or any other help regarding what is happening would be MUCH appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
you may need a software update to your DME. It is stalling or is everything turning off such as instrument cluster, lights, radio, etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,
The problem ive got, is because it has just happened unexpectedly, i do not remember what happened to the radio whether it turned off or not because i was solely focusing on any warning lights or seeing if there is any smoke or something... as for instrument cluster, all i remember is seeing the top 2 red lights being on (battery and oil), just like it does when you turn on the car to the second key switch (just before you start it). I had thought it could be stalling, as it was at a low power setting...but ive thought that wouldnt occur with this car?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sudden engine stall can only be caused by a limited number of things. Loss of spark? The new alternator argues against that. Battery holding a full charge, with hold-down secure? Any shorts possible that would send a "shut down now" message from the computer? Stalling due to fuel starvation? I'd guess that's the most logical possibility. Bad or about-to-go-bad fuel pump would be my guess. Any codes? :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, battery has been re-installed properly, has all attachments on it locked down, with the red plastic cover over the terminal(s). Fuel starvation could be a goer, is there anyway to check good or bad fuel pump? I havent seen any codes come up (on my dash?)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any updates to the issue? The same just happened to my wife yesterday while she was driving. I just had the alternator go bad last month and had it replaced and the car has been perfect since then until yesterday. There were no dashboard lights prior to the car shutting down yesterday but my wife did say that as soon as the car shut off, all the lights lit up. However, she was able to pull over, wait a minute and then turn the car back on just fine.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
same thing was happening to my buddies 325i his fuel pump slowly went bad...... so you should look into the fuel pump....

·
Registered
29 Posts
My alternator is a brand new remanufactured part, which I've read it pretty common to use. I don't have any of the symptoms that I did when the alternator was starting to go bad so I'm not sure it would be that. And the battery is also brand new as of 1 month ago.

So with both of those key major parts having been replaced in the past month, I'm wondering what else it could be in my case. Fuel pump as someone else mentioned? Or would a bad thermostat cause it to shut down?

When I had the car in the shop for the alternator, I had the guy scan for any codes and the only other thing that came up was that the thermostat was throwing a code and triggering the "Service Engine Soon" light due to the fact that the car wasn't coming up to temperature as quickly as it should. The temp gauge never showed any thing out of the ordinary and he said it would be something to replace in the near future, especially if the light comes on again. But it hasn't and it's been on the back burner of things to do at the moment. However, could this latest incident mean that the thermostat needs to be replaced now?

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Any updates any one?

I'm also experiencing the same issue intermittently. This only occurs while navigating in a parking lot, drive way or at a stop light. Car starts to hunt for idle sometimes ranging from 1300 to 500 then dies. Some times it stalls so smoothly that I don't even notice. Starting to becoming annoying now...:banghead:

·
Registered
800 Posts
ummm...

Fuel filter clogging or intake or air vacuum leak. Check all vacuum hoses and the rubber intake boot. Remove and spray-clean the DISA unit and idle control
unit. Could be a gasket/air leak there possibly...

As for fuel pump/filter, there is a fitting under the engine cover, I think, where pressure can be tested.

Fuel filter is easy to replace (and made a huge difference in mine).

·
Registered
224 Posts
SAME thing happened to me twice. brought it to the stealership, had my software updated, problem solved. something about a idle speed thinger. sucks, but easily fixable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
must be a common problem going on...
same thing just happened to me today. was navigating through a parking lot and while coming to stops it would die. I would start it back up and it would kind of kick back into gear. (i have an automatic) From reading around all day I see a lot of fuel filter solutions. is this what i should be focusing on?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone else tried this software update? I just bought my 02 325ci about a week ago and I was going around a roundabout earlier today and the engine shut off so smoothly the only way I could tell that it shut off was the power steering was gone. I waited a couple of seconds and started it right back up no problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just had this happen again two weeks ago and today as well. I'm going to try and replace the fuel filter first and then see if that's it. It's a relatively easy fix from what I see in the DIYs. Today I was waiting at a light, ready to make a U turn, and mid turn the car shut down. It always seems to happen during a turn just after coming to a stop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man I just had the exact same thing happen to me while I was taking a turn a couple weeks ago. I happened while I was turning into my mechanic's place to do the VCG. The radio and everything stayed on, the only way I could tell is my power steering was lost during the turn. The car didn't give any codes. Car started back up no problem and it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This happens to me once in a blue moon. I don't know about ya'll, but when it happens to me, it usually happens when coasting to a stop light (after coming off the freeway or the like), and happens so smoothly I rarely notice until I see the batt/oil light on the dash or when the power steering is gone. Then, it fires right back up without issue. This points me away from fuel filter/pump, since it would likely sputter before dying of fuel starvation, and would likely have some trouble starting back up afterward.

I'm going to focus more on idle controller and/or DISA issues. Further updates as events warrant.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i would nicely sit your car down for a long and serious chat and try to discuss things man to car
; )

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

1 - 20 of 34 Posts