BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
The reviews say otherwise. I just bought one. My DISA doesn't need it and I won't be taking it out to try. I will measure this O-ring though. :thumbsup: $5 not too bad for a contribution post. I'll sell it to someone for $5 even PayPal after I'm done.
You'll see, its too thick,
Will it fit on the DISA, sure will.
Will the O-ring slide inside the hole in the intake, no.
Will the O-ring seal the interface, yes, but not pretty.
Will the bolts on the DISA need to pull the ears against the intake and possibly deform the DISA, yes.

When the "proper" thickness O-ring is available for the same price, why use the wrong O-ring.

Yes, I looked a the reviews, IGNORANCE is bliss.

The seller stated " I have been buying these to match the OEM specifications of 11617504543" The BMW #11617504543 is the 1/8" O-ring for the M52 configuration.

It is a SAD, SAD state when people do not do their homework and continue to pass around incorrect information and/or the wrong parts. Especially when some people are "profiting" from selling something for the wrong application.

Funny how the Ebay seller stated he did not have a way to measure the O-ring but he used one on his car many years ago and it worked.

He could have easily purchased a General Tools digital micrometer with his profits and still had plenty of money left over.

Even is the description under one of the FAQ of the ebay seller he lists this which is clearly wrong "If you have the M52 or M54 engine, this is the O-Ring for you". The part he is selling is correct for the M52, but no the M54, they are of different design and size, the M52 has a "serviceable" O-ring from BMW, the M54 does not. The M52 uses a 1/8" O-ring, the M54 requires a 3/32" O-ring.

The guy says he has even searched the "forums" where he came up with some of his info. Well he did not do his homework properly.

Sorry, it is what it is. It really is annoying and sad these things happen. A few minutes of research and this guy would not be selling this O-ring and if the buyers payed attention they would realize the DISA will not seat properly when installing it with the 1/8" O-ring.

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
It's funny how back in 2007-2008 this had been a common knowledge on the forums, which seems to have been forgotten.
Finally, a voice of reason!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
You'll see, its too thick,
Will it fit on the DISA, sure will.
Will the O-ring slide inside the hole in the intake, no.
Will the O-ring seal the interface, yes, but not pretty.
Will the bolts on the DISA need to pull the ears against the intake and possibly deform the DISA, yes.

When the "proper" thickness O-ring is available for the same price, why use the wrong O-ring.

Yes, I looked a the reviews, IGNORANCE is bliss.

The seller stated " I have been buying these to match the OEM specifications of 11617504543" The BMW #11617504543 is the 1/8" O-ring for the M52 configuration.

It is a SAD, SAD state when people do not do their homework and continue to pass around incorrect information and/or the wrong parts. Especially when some people are "profiting" from selling something for the wrong application.

Funny how the Ebay seller stated he did not have a way to measure the O-ring but he used one on his car many years ago and it worked.

He could have easily purchased a General Tools digital micrometer with his profits and still had plenty of money left over.

Even is the description under one of the FAQ of the ebay seller he lists this which is clearly wrong "If you have the M52 or M54 engine, this is the O-Ring for you". The part he is selling is correct for the M52, but no the M54, they are of different design and size, the M52 has a "serviceable" O-ring from BMW, the M54 does not. The M52 uses a 1/8" O-ring, the M54 requires a 3/32" O-ring.

The guy says he has even searched the "forums" where he came up with some of his info. Well he did not do his homework properly.

Sorry, it is what it is. It really is annoying and sad these things happen. A few minutes of research and this guy would not be selling this O-ring and if the buyers payed attention they would realize the DISA will not seat properly when installing it with the 1/8" O-ring.

Like I said, I'll measure what I get and we'll determine if it's OK. I'll leave a bad review if it's wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
Got the O-ring last night. Measured it today.

OD: 60 mm
ID: 54-55 mm
Thickness: 2.6-2.75 mm

A thread on bimmerforums suggest that this is correct for the M54.

I used NAPA O-Ring PN 727-2136 just a few weeks ago on the 530. If you call them, they can tell you the size

Sources for DISA O-ring

"For the 325/330 M54 engines, the DISA O-ring is not a serviceable part, you have to remove the orange injected/molded silicon sealer and clean the groove out and install a replacement O-ring.

http://germanautosolutions.com/DISA_O-Rings.html

DISA O-rings for 325/330 engines have the following dimensions.

Some manufactures have an O-ring sizing chart. O-rings referenced as -136, -137, -138, -139 should all work. These sizes are 3/16" thick and range from 2" to 2 3/16" I.D.

Thickness - 3/32" (do not suggest anything thicker)
I.D. - 2" - 2 3/16"
O.D. - 2 3/16" - 2 3/8"
Preferred material - silicon, however, rubber may substitute

Thickness - 2.5 mm (do not suggest anything thicker)
I.D. - 51mm - 55 mm
O.D. - 55mm - 60 mm
Preferred material - silicon, however, rubber may substitute"

From <http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2019819-DISA-O-Ring-size>

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Got the O-ring last night. Measured it today.

OD: 60 mm
ID: 54-55 mm
Thickness: 2.6-2.75 mm

A thread on bimmerforums suggest that this is correct for the M54.
A few things, the thread on bimmerforums you quoted appears to be this thread from July of 2013 - http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2019819-DISA-O-Ring-size

Please understand that ALL the sizing information in this thread was copied directly out of my Master Cold Weather Misfire and CEL thread from Jan 2012 without a reference. Just search down to the area on the DISA this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

So I know quite well what the O-ring size SHOULD and NEEDS to be.

Also note the NAPA part number 727-2136 which will work, listed by the poster in the Bimmerforums link is a 3/32" thick O-ring, but there are a LOT of people that are suggesting and using the Ford Probe thermostat housing O-ring which is TOO THICK at 1/8" and is commonly available at parts suppliers to include NAPA, so people need to be VERY careful about what they buy and use for a replacement O-ring.

Now onto the ebay seller.

A few problems here.

1. The O-ring pictured in his listing is clearly too thick, it appears that is an 1/8" O-ring. Not sure if this is a picture he took of the O-ring next to a DISA or one he found somewhere??

2. I specifically emailed the ebay seller and asked him the O-ring thickness, his response "I don t have a micrometer with me to confirm exactly. I have been buying these to match the OEM specifications of 11617504543 rather than by size"

3. Straight from the ebay listing - "Q) Will this O-Ring work for my BMW?
A) If you have the M52 or M54 engine, it will work. I have some of the models listed below, but the common denominator is the engine type. If you have the M52 or M54 engine, this is the O-Ring for you"

The M52 engine and the M54 use a totally different DISA. The M52 DISA has a "serviceable" O-ring which IS 1/8" thick and happens to be the BMW Part Number listed above that the seller claims he uses the same spec for. The O-ring for the M52 engine is 1/8" thick. Unfortunately RealOEM does not provide dimensions for this O-ring, but I spent a lot of time researching this and know exactly how thick the BMW Part Number 11617504543 O-ring is.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho..._1998_E46_BMW_323i&diagId=11_2195#11617504543

I did however list the information for the M52 323/328 application DIRECTLY below the dimensions for the O-ring for the M54 325/330 application in my Master Cold Weather Misfire and CEL thread from Jan 2012 without a reference. Just search down to the area on the DISA this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

"DISA O-rings for the 323/328 engines have the following dimensions.This is for DISA's with the green, removable O-ring, not the orange molded seal. I also believe that the green O-ring DISA's are less problematic than the DISA's with the orange molded seal?

Again this is a BMW serviceable part, part number 11617504543.

Thickness - 1/8"
I.D. - 2"
O.D. - 2 1/4"
Preferred material - silicon, however, rubber may substitute

Thickness - 5.5 mm
I.D. - 51 mm
O.D. - 62 mm
Preferred material - silicon, however, rubber may substitute"

So the statement that the sellers O-ring fits both the M52 and M54 engines is incorrect.

I raised this issue to the ebay seller on Jan 16 and clearly informed him of the differences in the O-ring so it is quite possible he found the errors in his ways and has switched to supplying the properly thickness O-ring??

As of this post, the ebay seller still has the title of his listing as:

"BMW DISA Valve O-RING For Intake Manifold Adjusting E46 E39 Z3 M52 M54 engines"

The same statement is listed in the FAQ:

"Q) Will this O-Ring work for my BMW?
A) If you have the M52 or M54 engine, it will work. I have some of the models listed below, but the common denominator is the engine type. If you have the M52 or M54 engine, this is the O-Ring for you"

So there are CLEARLY a LOT of inconsistencies with the seller and what he is stating and the questions he is answering.

Regardless of how many "happy" customers he has had and the glowing feedback, I would be very cautious buying from him until he can provide an update listing the proper O-ring dimensions of what he is actually selling AND correct the application information because the M52 and M54 O-rings are totally different. While you can get a M52 O-ring to work on an M54 application, the O-ring will not slide into the hole into the intake and will likely be cut, pinched and distorted, but it will probably seal for a while. Contrary if you use the proper M54 O-ring at 3/32" thickness on a M52 application, I would expect you would have horrible vacuum leak problems.

I have also found MANY OTHER ebay sellers are making this exact same mistake.

I think this sums things up the best!

It's funny how back in 2007-2008 this had been a common knowledge on the forums, which seems to have been forgotten.

Buyer beware and do you homework.

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
Okay so after all of that, you said nothing of substance. Just be concise. I measured the product I got. To me it seems like it probably works for the M54. It's a little bit bigger than 3/32 thick. The ID seems right unless I'm reading your post wrong. So what's wrong? I get his listing is inaccurate if it's saying that it's good for both. But we know what he's delivering now. I have factual information about his product.

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Okay so after all of that, you said nothing of substance. Just be concise. I measured the product I got. To me it seems like it probably works for the M54. It's a little bit bigger than 3/32 thick. The ID seems right unless I'm reading your post wrong. So what's wrong? I get his listing is inaccurate if it's saying that it's good for both. But we know what he's delivering now. I have factual information about his product.
I said plenty of substance, you choose to IGNORE it.

Maybe the seller has always shipped the the part you received, maybe he switched it up after I contacted and questioned him about the part.

The M52 requires a 1/8" O-ring and this is what the ebay seller indicated to me he was shipping. I do not care to order anything from him to verify, I have plenty of the proper sized O-rings on hand, you can buy them in packs of 10 or 25 for under $10-$15 as I recall depending on the source.

I mean come on, if you are going to advertise and sell something, please do your homework and try to get things right.

Even the seller stated this in the listing:

"As a BMW owner and a DIYer, I did this job myself. It was a long research to find the correct o-ring because there is no part number for this o-ring for BMW's made after 2001. In the old DISA designs, the ring came separately under part number 11617504543. In the newer designs, we have to scrape off the existing ring and fit a new one. Therefore, the precise size, shape, thickness and material of the o-ring becomes very important. When I replaced my o-ring in my E46, I did all the research and found the one that works. I bought in bulk and selling it to the DIY enthusiasts for a fair price."

Not sure this guy spent the time and effort he really should have!!!

As I said, BUYER BEWARE!!

Glad you have a part that appears to be usable.

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
Dude chill out. We're on the same team. You know I respect your knowledge. I just don't know why you're writing novels in this thread. I have measurements on his product. Is it good for the M54? Only you know. If it is then I will email him also and explain about the M52.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Simple way to verify the proper O-ring thickness without having super expensive measuring systems is the following:

VERY, VERY simple way to measure the O-ring, it will cost you less than $0.10 to measure the O-ring accurately and you will not need to actually "spend" the $0.10.

If you buy an O-ring you want one that is 3/32" thick for the 325/330 applications, NOT 1/8" thick which many ebay sellers are shipping.

You will need 2 dimes to measure the O-ring thickness.

Toss the O-ring on a flat surface like a table, stack 2 dimes in the middle of the O-ring then use something flat like a card or ruler to lay across the O-ring, it should be almost exactly the thickness of the 2 dimes.

The thicker 1/8" O-ring which is the wrong one to use is the thickness of 2 quarters stacked.

Hope this helps people quickly determine if the have the proper thickness O-ring.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Simple way to verify the proper O-ring thickness without having super expensive measuring systems is the following:

VERY, VERY simple way to measure the O-ring, it will cost you less than $0.10 to measure the O-ring accurately and you will not need to actually "spend" the $0.10.

If you buy an O-ring you want one that is 3/32" thick for the 325/330 applications, NOT 1/8" thick which many ebay sellers are shipping.

You will need 2 dimes to measure the O-ring thickness.

Toss the O-ring on a flat surface like a table, stack 2 dimes in the middle of the O-ring then use something flat like a card or ruler to lay across the O-ring, it should be almost exactly the thickness of the 2 dimes.

The thicker 1/8" O-ring which is the wrong one to use is the thickness of 2 quarters stacked.

Hope this helps people quickly determine if the have the proper thickness O-ring.
Do you mind if I link to this post--attributing to you, of course--in my signature?

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Sure, not a problem. Just trying to get a simple and easy process for people to make sure they the correct part before they fall in the Ford Probe trap!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts