E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a while ive had a problem with my heaters and through the winter it wasn't that bad, but now its 30+ some days in the UK it's a bit annoying!!!:ben:

my car is a 320 52 Plate (E46) Diesel.

my problems that the heater just doesn't respond to temperature controls, :banghead: it blows hot air even if you set it to 16degrees... the only way to kind of control the temperature is to use the blueto red slider on the centre vents, but they seem to vary depending on the speed of the car (take it from wind into the system)

So i took my car to have its AC refilled as i thought it might be a problem with that, and now if i set it at 16degrees and auto, i do get cold AC'd air through the face vents but warm/hot air through the feet & screen outputs (which kind of cancels out the ac and feels a bit weird)

So looking round forums ive come to a conclusion that its either the little Hedgehog that goes behind the dash (sorry don't know the official name) or the HCV which is located near the air intake (RHD) under the bonnet.

Bearing in mind when it was in the garage the guy said it had a warning on a water pump on a data readout, which one of these do you think its likely to be, because i dont want to have to buy both parts if nessacerry, and im hoping its the HCV as its the cheaper & easier looking bit to change!!

any help is greatly appreciated guys! :thumbsup:

not very often we get nice British weather so id like to have some nice AC to keep cool when travelling :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The hedgehog thing is the FSR (or Final Stage Resistor) which usually causes blower speed issues.

My money is on the HCV (Heater Control Valve).

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts