BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i feel as if i have searched everywhere for a proper description of my symptoms but cant seem to find all of them together. i am experiencing everything from lurching and jolting too loss of power at top end rpm (4500 and on) around 4 months ago i noticed at a high rpm i would get a sort of chirp or whistle just for a split second accompanied by a jolt or loss of power and i believe this to be the source of my issues, i did my vanos seals and fuel filter recently to help fix the jolting and it helped on the first start up if i floored it at a low rpm there was no issues but soon it returned (vanos seals seamed to fix some of the low end bounciness) and upon reading many people had suggested lower intake boots, and even upon inspection didnt seem damaged but i decided what the hell might as well replace them, still to no prevail. im wondering if it might be a vacuum leak of sorts? my disa sounds like it could be on its way out as well, upon request i could post a video of this "chirping" i would just rather not go through the trouble it would cost to upload it.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Have you scanned for codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
im at 171k miles. i currently dont have the money to buy a whole new disa, i however am not the type of person to go for the more cost effective way, nothing but the best for my baby, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of buying the rebuild kit for the disa, it sounds like my membrane or o ring is gone, its a whining most audible at around 3k rpm. i had a previous check engine on for seconday air however i was trying to get most of the main issues fixed before i worried about what seemed to be a less adamant fix, i plan on going and getting them re-read tomorrow, more than likely will have them cleared as well to see what one re occur. i appreciate the help i am truley at a loss and am starting to get frustrated, also as far as i know the fuel pump is original, i have service records from the previous owner but by the ammount there and the notorious maitnence needed for our beloved driving machines, id say it isnt all there so really its anyones guess

·
Registered
26,415 Posts
Autozone will read your codes for free...get them and use advanced search/thread title to see what's on them here. Look for them individually...and together in your search.

It does sound like an air leak...and nothing personal, but guys have messed up the lower intake boot replacement before...the tab can get stuck inside so even though the boot is 'on' it's not really on right. But there are many other places air can leak. See jfoj's sig file for 'solve every problem' link (something like that).

Know where you're at maintenance-wise too. If your FP is original, I wonder if your Fuel Filter is too? Many things might explain your symptoms...and that's another thing you can do...use thread title search and enter your symptoms...see what comes back.

hth...and a bump for you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright i got my codes read and it mainly seemed to be misfires, apart from the secondary air bank 1 and 2. the codes i got where: po300, p1353, p1351, p1349, p0491, p0492. my plugs are a tad dirty and i just had to replaice a coil that went out, do you think it would be worth the money to try and replace all of them? im going to try and figure out how to clear codes and go rent the scanner at advanced auto tomorrow and clear the codes and see if the all come back. my boot is on fine i double checked today, and i can hear my fuel pump prime loud and clear

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Don't waste time & money replacing good coils. You have to realize that obd2 codes are symptoms and not causes. Clearing the codes won't do anything to fix the problem. I'm sure that there is a good indy shop in Jax. Contact the local chapter if the BMWCCA for recommendations. All chapters have a website. Members are happy to provide recommendations.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't waste time & money replacing good coils. You have to realize that obd2 codes are symptoms and not causes. Clearing the codes won't do anything to fix the problem. I'm sure that there is a good indy shop in Jax. Contact the local chapter if the BMWCCA for recommendations. All chapters have a website. Members are happy to provide recommendations.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'm aware they won't fix anything but if I can eliminate previous misfires due to the bad coil I just recently replaced it might narrow down my suspect list, I was trying to avoid throwing a ton of money at a shop to diagnose an Issues that I might be able to get some helpful advice on here about and diagnose and fix myself.
On a side note, other than the whole secondary air system and the fuel pressure regulation vac hose and disa, what other vaccine systems are there to look for?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts