E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, this is my belt tensioner and it's been making these weird noises (high pitched) and seems to shake at idle. It's circled in red and it seems like the two holes (far left in the circle) on the tensioner and the other thing aren't aligned.. and there's a big gap between the tensioner and the thing behind it (not sure if it's supposed to be like that)?? also i think there's suppose to be a bolt going through these two holes? can anyone help me on this?

#2 on the diagram

gona open it up this weekend but just want to make sure. so help please

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
instead of the mechanical tensioner as posted above.

the retrofit kit is the hydraulic tensioner...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I've also sprayed some wd 40 in there and that did the trick. The noise is normal, if it's the same noise as what i'm thinking, it probably comes up when you first start the car and goes away once the car is warmed up. Probably only happens on cold starts where the engine and everything is cooled off. Correct?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no.. i think its the different noise we're talking about.. mine stays constant in idle and is really loud if im in either drive or reverse. not so much in neutral and park.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts