E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2003 325iT Auto
Yesterday I pulled the headlights out to replace the lenses and make sure the adjustment screw knobs working to move the reflector. With the right side headlight out, I saw a cable with 2 small green wires broken, and this cable branching out from the harness that going to the right fog light. See pic. What are those green wires connected to?
Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Metal Auto part

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,648 Posts
I think that thermoswitch controls side mirror defrosting as well. Cars without headlight washers have it. You are missing the front right front lower fender liner, analogous to the one on the left that holds the ambient air temp sensor. Thermoswitch is shaped like a thin plastic hockey puck.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that thermoswitch controls side mirror defrosting as well. Cars without headlight washers have it. You are missing the front right front lower fender liner, analogous to the one on the left that holds the ambient air temp sensor. Thermoswitch is shaped like a thin plastic hockey puck.
This makes sense. Thank you, and I will try to get one at junkyard.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
9,417 Posts
IIRC it's the flat disc (?) thermal witch. Controls washer nozzle heating.
GN/SW & GN/GE

·
Registered
2001 325ci
1,330 Posts
This makes sense. Thank you, and I will try to get one at junkyard.
if tis for the "hockey puck", u might not even need it. i actually just removed that round thing (to prevent dangling), and secure the wires with tape.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The heated spray nozzle thermal switch (hockey puck) should be at the front right, but TIS shows it on the front left next to the ambient temp sensor. It also shows another version with it located on the front right. How does one know which version to look at? I will not install the missing switch, but tape off the 12v wire.

Font Machine Bumper Motor vehicle Brand

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to the wiring diagram, the two heaters will be ON whenever ignition is on and the thermal switch on (cold ambient), so these heaters will be on all the time during engine running regardless of washer being used or not ?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Wire colors compared to WDS

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
What's on the other side?

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heated washer nozzle wiring: The heaters running when it's cold and ignition turned on, all the time? It looks wrong.
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Pattern

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
??? the other side of what? The left front has the normal ambient temp sensor. The color of the cut off wires are Green/white and Green/yell I think.
You were confused about the TiS directions and thought either your car was built incorrectly or the instructions were wrong.
I merely asked what was on the other side of the car. Flat disc, then you're missing the probe or vice versa.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Heated washer nozzle wiring: The heaters running when it's cold and ignition turned on, all the time? It looks wrong.
View attachment 943719
It's a PTC; Positive temperature coefficient. The colder it gets, the more current flows through it.

Just the opposite of what we normally see of a NTC being used for temperature sensing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts