BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
Disa...I'll find the real oem for it.

For my car...not yours.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AM53&mospid=47723&btnr=11_2195&hg=11&fg=40

But, I don't think this is why your car isn't starting. Start by searching disa in advanced/title search...may be, but I don't think it causes no start.

Then search 'no start' threads...again, using advanced/title search.

We've had lots of them just recently.

No start; won't start; etc.

Are you cranking or not?

Cluster test the voltage...or multimeter.

Scan for codes if you can.

Try different key...

include link to last of your 'no start' threads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
soo farr..from the last post which was about 3 weeks ago, i went away and car sat front of the house for a week and when i got back, it fired right up until nowww

Battery-GOOD , got it checked out/ did the cluster test
Alternator-i dont think this has to do with it
fuel pump, i just checked today, its good
starter- not suree.
ignition switch-not sure

i just ordered a relay today, maybe that might fix the problem??

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
So you are cranking but not starting.

I persist with the battery until it's proved it's bad. It's not just the voltage you need on a battery; you need amps also.

Just saying.

What are you hearing? Is fuel pump priming below the rear seat (on rt. side on ours...might be on the left in yours)

Clicking of starter?

I'm about to fall asleep...but the more info the better!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will put a video later on tonightt..but heres what i get.

I turn the ignition and all i hear is Click click from the engine bay, and i checked the fuel pump lst nightt and it seems like its working fine, its making the noise how it should be making.

sorry, how do i hear the starter?

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
That's probably the click you hear.

Try getting a jump start. You might be the fourth guy I've persisted with saying it could be battery...but everyone doubts it because their lights are on...but starting takes a huge load, and sometimes the battery just can't support it.

If jumping works, drive for 20 mins. on the highway...and don't turn off car until you get home!

Monitor cluster voltage often and see what you get.

Check battery cables/grounds, under hood terminals for corrosion and tightness.

HTH

Night!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got the battery tested.. 11.9 V and 474 AMPS, tried to jump it front the front.. still diddnt work, im starting to think its the starter??

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
If starter, maybe starter, maybe how starter is connected...corrosion, looseness, etc?

I'd look first...and I just read recently, that you see it under cabin air filter housing. Never knew that before! Anyway, when they fail, it seems you often can bring it back to life once, maybe twice, with a good swift knock from something like a hammer or lug wrench...or something. Don't break it off!

I hear it's a pain to get to the first time...wouldn't know, but there was just a diy thread on it here. Use advanced/title search. (I'll stop saying that now! :lmao:)

Oh, sorry...almost forgot! Check your battery connections, including under the terminals under the hood (both) and the grounding straps. There are two major ones in the engine bay on wheel wells somewhere...and the cable from the battery somewhere. The battery sounds like it's dying at 474 amps, but it does sound like it has enough for a little bit yet...but don't forget, before you go crazy. There are many ignorant, but welling meaning, authoritative sounding people around testing batteries; I trust few of them at a place selling them to tell me much about them or their condition.

Check on whether 474 amps is good. I think my cca are somewhere around 650 or more, but I'm not up on electricity so much. Delmarco loves batteries and knows tons about them (more than about tires!); you see his thread with the naked women holding batteries?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts