E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so here's the deal, i took off my oem knob to put on an RKII, sold it and am gonna put on my OEM knob (before my rk3 arrives).

however, no matter how hard i try to jam it on there, and no matter how hard i try, it wont go on.

MY DEALER SAYS that once the knob is taken off, it wont even go back on (this sounds like aload of crap).

everyone else seems to be able to do this easily... why cant i?

i am at a total loss for words.

thanks for your help.

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have it aligned properly.

but let me explain further, literally, the knob wont even go down to where the notch in the knob touches the notch on the shifter. if i put the knob on top of the shifter, the knob is stopped completely as soon as its bottom edge hits the white plastic that surrounds the bottom 2" (approx) of the shifter.

i even tried pounding on the knob and wedging it on.

my problem is not that its loose when i get it, i am saying it wont even get on at all

and thanks for the help, jeremy

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 330i with 5-sp, PP, SP
I removed (and reinstalled) the shift knob several times without any issue.

Check to make sure the plastic clip inside the knob is OK.

Good luck.

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what does the plastic clip look like? and is its function to get the knob on or to keep it on securely?

·
Registered
45 Posts
One other thing, did you push the shift boot down as far as it can go?

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dtlee said:
One other thing, did you push the shift boot down as far as it can go?

no, but i am saying the bottom of the knob doesnt even get witin 2" of the top of the shift boot in its normal position.

literally the knob wont go on... at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts