E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI i did a oil change thursday night. but just befor i had the airbox off and the MAF unplugged the seal a leak on the water tank i started the car when this was off to let the water run down past the crack then sealed it and put air pipes box and maf back on and then did my oil change and did not start the car till the next morning when it would not start!! i have put new plugs in today (saturday) and still no luck i have unplugged the battery and then retried but still not luck. it seem when i turn the key the 1st second it want to start then just turns over?? i also notice that when refilling the oil i spilled some and it went on to a plug/lead inbetween the first coil and the oil cap have tried to clean out and dry out but still didnt start anybody have any ideas???? :ben:

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
You know something...as hard as it was, I actually could understand most of what you said. The rest here, though, will have gotten through the first sentence and concluded 'um, this isn't a famous stream of consciousness author and thus isn't worth my time.'

So, I'll get you started and also suggest you revise your post into more conventional English with better stops and starts, descriptions of details, miles on car, color of car and interior (that'll become important later), and what else you've done to the car recently that you haven't mentioned.

I can't tell if you're cranking or not.

Yes, oil on that plug could be an issue--use electric cleaner

Check all the grounds around the plugs...you need three on my car and I presume on yours.

Go back over your work. You didn't plug something in, you messed up something, you forgot to connect something. The battery may be weak.

I think you've got a hiding plug/connection is all, though.

Welcome to fanatics and I'm sorry to say I'm like the nicest guy here! :lmao:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry english wasnt my strong point (clearly) lol
its a silver e46 touring 318se manual done 135miles grey cloth interior.
i have gone back over everything i did and have tried the car after being on a battery booster and the battery is fine,
have also tried to bump start but no good!! the EML light is on when trying to start but all it does is crank over??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
STEVEN
yeah it was my header tank next to rad had a very fine crack with a couple of pin prick size holes in.
I covered them with J n B weld have used it before n worked fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think he was asking about interior to get an idea of moddel/year or maybe just as a piss take!!

will go check grounds now.

the only sensor i unplugged was the one to the MAF. untill today when i changed the spark plugs, nothing was took off apart from air box maf plug and the pipe to the throttle boddie. then put all back on changed oil and and wouldnt start

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
Check grounds, remove coil you spilled oil on and clean up its connection and the plug boot, and check in the spark plug well in case you actually filled that up entirely with oil.

I wanted to know about your car's colors in case it's Fern Green...I need a new rear bumper! lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol sorry wrong colour ;)

can you tell me what the plug in called on the head inbetween the oil cap and the first coil,
its a 12pin socket with a yellow rubber ring around it?? thats the one i got oil on.
and no oil in spark plug well have had them in and out about 5time...

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
You'd have to post a pic, I think. There aren't many 318s around here. Also, realoem.com is your friend! And, spaghettidecoder.org might help too.

Oil does conduct electricity, from what I hear, but you can always just clean the connector with electric cleaning spray.

On mine, there are three grounds around the plugs...at #1, 3, and 6 cylinders. Not sure about you.

Still don't know if you're cranking or not. Search using title search "crank no start" or "no crank no start" --something like that.

HTH

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
Try searching for 'flooded engine'--there's something you do with holding down the throttle pedal either halfway or all the way down and then cranking it. Never had to do it so don't know the specifics.

It does seem like it might be electrical, though...doublecheck/triplecheck all the connections.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do you have a check engine light?

I tried to follow,,, but did you remove the expansion tank in order to seal it? If you did, there is a sensor at the bottom you need to plug back in. Double check your MAF connection, make sure it is plugged in all they way completely.

What oil did you use? Is your your oil level is good? Use a funnel when pouring

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right have just had it on the scanner it came up with a few things so cleared it and tried again,
it come up with cam outlet sensor so we unplugged it and there was oil in the conections so cleaned them out
and took the sensor out and cleaned that up.

we have now cleared the codes put sensor back in and its fireing abit better done another scan and still just cam outlet sensor,
going to order one tomorrow and will see.

oil level is between max n half way

no i didnt have to take expantion tank off and have checked the plug at the bottom, maf in 100% connected

i hope it is cam censor if not we are thinking it might have jumped on timeing!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am running out of ideas now!! Comp was saying camshaft exhaust sensor so change that no diff.
Have swaped the in let cam sensor with the exhaust side and it still saying its the exhaust cam sensor!!
Anybody got any ideas??

Sent from my LG-P920 using Bimmer App

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.