BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 03 M3 has 2 DME fault codes that remain after erasing all faults and driving for a few miles.

They are: 72 & 35 as read by carsoft DME diagnostics.

Carsoft gives no additional information on these. Does anybody know what they relate to?

I had a amber check engine light yesterday after a 200km trip but that has not returned after erasing the memory and driving again for 10 miles or so, there were other faults in the system before erasing but they may have been old ones as they haven't returned since. I have not noticed any problems with the cars performance with these faults but I also haven't had it very long so maybe don't know what to be looking for.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: So I got the Peake research reader and these codes turned out to table 1B: 48 = Intake camshaft VANOS retard valve & b8 = Intake camshaft VANOS position control.

Both of which I have concluded are the VANOS solenoid valve giving trouble so I have ordered up a replacement with the seal plate and volts and hopefully next week have it fitted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced the vanos solenoid control valve and sealing plate, no codes since so looks like that was the issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Solution to rough idle....??

Replaced the vanos solenoid control valve and sealing plate, no codes since so looks like that was the issue.
Hi, Can you tell me if you solved this issue...? only i have a slightly off idle and i have so far tried cleaning the ICV valve and stripping the could packs and spark plugs to check there ok.....which they are. I have also changed the timing chain tensioner bolt and nothing...! I am beginning to think its vanos related but need steering......I have no troubles regarding performance (to my mind anyway...!) but would really like it to idle properly in case I'm damaging something. Cheers,
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts