BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
steering wheel button casings without breaking the whole unit? I have a multi-function steering wheel just like the pic shown (thanks http://e46.mit.edu/) and I would like to get them painted to match my dash inserts. Has anyone taken these units off? If so, can I just pry it off using a flathead? Are there clips underneath that I should take extra care when removing them?
Also, is it safe to drive the car without these units being in place (they are audio and cruise control buttons so I can live without that for a day or two)? Any help will be much appreciated:)

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, the 'SRS Airbag' enblem comes off very easily as it is only held down with a small notch and yanking it off from one side will not cause a breakage. But I couldn't get the two top pieces off...how brave are you guys?!? maybe yank it off like a mofo?

·
Registered
956 Posts
i dont know man, i tried pulling the crap out of it and nothing happened. i dont want to break it. anyone know how to remove this [email protected] thing? :dunno:

btw: i have my srs airbag thingy painted but dont know how to get the button trim off.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I believe there are torx screws on the back of the steering wheel that holds those pieces on. The Airbag badge just pops off though.
Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
956 Posts
just did this guys. all you have to do is just get a good hold of them and pull hard. no screws are holding it. its just like the airbag logo. 2 little clips. just pull out, on the back of the trim there are four tiny screws holding the buttons which will need to be taken out before painting. ill take pics tomorrow since it is dark out right now. pretty easy diy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BiMMeR323ci2000 said:
just did this guys. all you have to do is just get a good hold of them and pull hard. no screws are holding it. its just like the airbag logo. 2 little clips. just pull out, on the back of the trim there are four tiny screws holding the buttons which will need to be taken out before painting. ill take pics tomorrow since it is dark out right now. pretty easy diy. :thumbup:
Nice one :bow: Did you pull from one side, or straight up? If the clips are weak then I'd like to be careful...pics will be great! BTW, I am assuming that you can drive without these casing right? Any warning lights?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Stock323iSaloon said:
Nice one :bow: Did you pull from one side, or straight up? If the clips are weak then I'd like to be careful...pics will be great! BTW, I am assuming that you can drive without these casing right? Any warning lights?

just grab a hold of top and bottom and pull each side out at a time. as soon as you hear a click then you know its out. id say the clips are pretty thick and strong. you cant really break them because they go straight down so if you pull up then youre really not doing any damage. i pained them last night and let them dry overnight. installed back in the morning. no lights on dash. you just cant control the volume when its out but thats about it. 2 coats primer, 2 coats silver metallic paint and 3 coats of clear coat. will post pics when i get a chance to take some. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts