E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a spiderweb crack on the passenger side of my windshield a couple of inches in each direction. The crack is internal and the inside and outside of the window are smooth. Can this be repaired or does it have to be replaced and how much?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
dublb2001 said:
I got a spiderweb crack on the passenger side of my windshield a couple of inches in each direction. The crack is internal and the inside and outside of the window are smooth. Can this be repaired or does it have to be replaced and how much?

Thanks!
Repaired pretty easily. Usually a mobile rock chip service guys goes to your location, and fixes it. Mostly by drilling a small hole into the crack, and filling with resin that cures in about 1/2 hour. The crack will still be visible, but less shiny in the sun, and won't expand or get worse.

Your insurance will usually pay for the crack repair without charging a deductible. Otherwise it cost around $50 or so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
dublb2001 said:

Thanks!

If Texas is like Florida, it is law that the insurance company replace the windshield @ 0 deductable.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I thought the spider webbed cracks were less repairable, When my sm. ding was repaired the glass guy says they use aftermarket, but with a BMW he thought he could sell the co. on oem.
I did the quick fix, didn't want to mess with the seals and potential water leaks, then I sold the 4 cyl dog and got a 330

·
Registered
89 Posts
Usually cracks larger than 1 inch are difficult to repair. Get a new windshield. Your insurance company will cover it or you may have to pay around a $100 deductable. Companies that repace windshields are much better now so the seal will not leak. I had a windshield replaced last year no problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i recently had a chip fixed in my windshield, and the guy who did it told me that the reason that they are reluctant to repair cracks that are longer than an inch is because they have to drill multiple holes spaced evenly along the length of the crack, to get the resin to flow along the entire crack...this is time consuming and difficult to do, also the finished product does not always look that good....anyways, hope you are able to get your fixed! good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts