BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody give me instructions on how to change the oil on the E46 M3. I have my car on jack stands and I can't find the drain plug. Picture will be great:huh:

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,607 Posts
do it at the dealer. the M3 uses a special oil which cant be bought anywhere but the dealer. but for the price of it, you might as well do it at the dealer.

·
T!TSLVR
1,258 Posts
We just changed the oil in my friend's M3 today. I wasn't under the car, but the drain plug needs an allan wrench to unscrew it. Because it's not a regular bolt... the middle of the screw is where the allan wrench fits into to unscrew the drain plug. (it does NOT look like the drain plug in that 330 DIY).

The oil filter is on top in the circular silver thing with a screw in the middle.

Sorry I can't help you more.. i haven't not done my own car yet.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,607 Posts
ahh, should be rihgt under there. i believe there is a small latch in the engine cover that opens to the drain plug. Find that.

Here is a DIY for E46 in general. maybe it'll help on ur M3:
http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_Oil_Change.htm

Or u can always get a griots garage oil sucker. just plug it in from the top and suck all the oil out so wont ever have to get under ur car.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
there is a circular (rubber?) insert that hides the drain plug from what i can remember. Remove that... Should be about the middle of the car. I had trouble finding it the first time i changed the oil. Just look harder you will find it.

lilherc79: nothing wrong with changing your own oil...the reason i do it is the following.... saves a little bit of money, reduces the chance of the dealer damaging the car or mods, saves the hassle of scheduling an appointment at the dealer, and helps you get to know more about your car by getting under there and getting your hands dirty... i like to call it car bonding :)

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,607 Posts
hahaha, i know, i use to do my own oil changes. but i cant find the time to do that anymore. I have all the tools to do it left over from my old car not to mention 2 cases of oil..... oh wells. i think i'm gnna start again after my warranty runs out... i love DIYs :thumbup:

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,607 Posts
mods should redo the DIY pages for these new DIYs. there are a lot of new DIYs out...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help. The drain plug is in the middle after you remove rubber flat piece. You will need a Torsen wrench size T40. I just finished changing my oil. Boy it feels good:thumbup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
do you not have the full service coverage through BMW? do you not have the three or four year full service thing from BMW when you bought the car?

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,607 Posts
some owners wuold like to change oil every 3000. with the service coverage, the dealer only do it for u according to the computer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts