BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHH!! I was backing my car out of my garage and all of a sudden i hear the loudest screaching sound. This is not normal. I checked under the car on the driverside after seeing pics of a tearing subframe in one of the threads... and my subframe looks fine. What could this be?? Im afraid to even drive it to a shop. The sound is loud as hell when my car is rolling in reverse (even if its just rolling down the driveway in neutral) but I barely hear anything while im going forward. Is it my differential?? Any help would be appreciated. :bawling:


BTW 2000 323ci
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Possibly the diff. When you are at a standstill and you go from neutral to reverse and give it some gass does it clunk?

I trashed a diff in my old e36.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
hobbymike said:
Check your rear Brakes. Before I replaced mine while backing up I had a loud screeching noise as well. They didn't seem low but it was there.
Good call. Hopefully thats all it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hobbymike said:
Check your rear Brakes. Before I replaced mine while backing up I had a loud screeching noise as well. They didn't seem low but it was there.
I had all 4 brake pads and rotors replaced with oem in late may/early june :dunno: Could there be something stuck in my brakes or something??

Where do you guys think i should have it towed to tomorrow morning? The dealer? or a BMW specializing motorsport shop? (Martin Motorsports)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
three2threeCi said:
I had all 4 brake pads and rotors replaced with oem in late may/early june :dunno: Could there be something stuck in my brakes or something??

Where do you guys think i should have it towed to tomorrow morning? The dealer? or a BMW specializing motorsport shop? (Martin Motorsports)

Take it to the shop that did the brakes maybe one is hanging??? :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hobbymike said:
Take it to the shop that did the brakes maybe one is hanging??? :dunno:
Its impossible to get an appt with a BMW dealership around here without a 2 week wait.........ahhhhhhhhhh this suckssss
 

·
Just Marinatin'
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
yeah

sycE46 said:
I'm guess its the brakes too. maybe you have a rock stuck in the pads.
it sounds like a really horrible noise but I had this happen to me before. After I drove for a while it went away. Do you have aftermarket wheels? Like 19's or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea i have 19s. I think you guys are all right about the brakes. I just confirmed it. I took off the wheel where the sound was coming from and the pad and rotor looked ok. But then i put the wheel on... and released the parking brake when my car was just barely off the ground.. and spun the rim... and there was the noise. Sounds like a rock stuck in the pad.... but does that necessarily mean thats the case... or could it be a misaligned pad or something? Thank god it wasn't something major!!!

I bought the parts (4 rotors and 4 pads) from Pacific and had them installed locally at Sterling BMW in VA. Do you think Sterling BMW will fix it since they installed em or do you think they will say no since I didnt buy the parts from them? I just wanna get this fixed quickly and cheaply if possible and get back on the road!!
 

·
Just Marinatin'
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
sabotage

three2threeCi said:
Yea i have 19s. I think you guys are all right about the brakes. I just confirmed it. I took off the wheel where the sound was coming from and the pad and rotor looked ok. But then i put the wheel on... and released the parking brake when my car was just barely off the ground.. and spun the rim... and there was the noise. Sounds like a rock stuck in the pad.... but does that necessarily mean thats the case... or could it be a misaligned pad or something? Thank god it wasn't something major!!!

I bought the parts (4 rotors and 4 pads) from Pacific and had them installed locally at Sterling BMW in VA. Do you think Sterling BMW will fix it since they installed em or do you think they will say no since I didnt buy the parts from them? I just wanna get this fixed quickly and cheaply if possible and get back on the road!!
This might sound weird but I just kept driving and it went away. i have heard though that people take their car in and they can get the rock(s) out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
If it is a rock, then they will fix it, but you will pay (Probably new rotor and a new pad). If it is something as a result of there install, I am sure they will back there work and take care of you. Eitherway, get it looked at. Good luck

DJ

three2threeCi said:
Yea i have 19s. I think you guys are all right about the brakes. I just confirmed it. I took off the wheel where the sound was coming from and the pad and rotor looked ok. But then i put the wheel on... and released the parking brake when my car was just barely off the ground.. and spun the rim... and there was the noise. Sounds like a rock stuck in the pad.... but does that necessarily mean thats the case... or could it be a misaligned pad or something? Thank god it wasn't something major!!!

I bought the parts (4 rotors and 4 pads) from Pacific and had them installed locally at Sterling BMW in VA. Do you think Sterling BMW will fix it since they installed em or do you think they will say no since I didnt buy the parts from them? I just wanna get this fixed quickly and cheaply if possible and get back on the road!!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top