E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am in desperate need of help and I have been combing the forums for answers.

I have a 05 325ci which was driving perfectly until suddenly she started bogging down and stuttering as if she was running out of gas. I stopped her on the middle of the highway and the car wouldn't start back on. She turns on and keeps cranking but just will not turn on. There were no codes thrown also.

After looking up on the forums, I suspected it's the fuel pump. So I measured the voltage at the fuse which as 11.6V and then at the relay which was 11.6 V and also on the fuse on the e-box under the hood which was also the same. But the voltage on the plug is coming to be 4.7V. The fuel pump does not prime or make any sounds when I turn the key on. I also measured the voltage on the other plug on the pump behind the driver, and that is also at 4.7V.

I am not sure now if the fuel
Pump actually has gone bad or if it is not getting enough power. What should I do next ? Please help!

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
Car needs a fuel pump. DO NOT worry about measuring Voltage at the pump, IT WILL be lower than 12.6 Volts, you will also read around 5 Volts when the pump is not running.

Replace the pump, no question.

Read this thread - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

$130 for a OEM pump and sending unit on your doorstep from www.bmaparts.com using discount code SPEC30 and free standard shipping you can usually get the pump in 2 days.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys ! Do you think it will help if I put the car on a jumper cable with another car or a starter pack and then check the voltage.

I will follow your advice and replace the fuel pump regardless.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try it. But since this was my second incident as such, I doubt it will turn on. I just wanted to make sure I did my due diligence and check every possibility before pulling the pump out.
I had to call roadside assistance and tow the car home since I was stuck in the middle of no where on US-84. I have everything ready to switch out the fuel pump. Just waiting for the part.

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
I will try it. But since this was my second incident as such, I doubt it will turn on. I just wanted to make sure I did my due diligence and check every possibility before pulling the pump out.
I had to call roadside assistance and tow the car home since I was stuck in the middle of no where on US-84. I have everything ready to switch out the fuel pump. Just waiting for the part.
Make sure you have 1 small worm drive hose clamp, you will need to cut the original off.

You can take the butt of a hammer and tape on the pump mounting ring pretty stoutly and this may jar the pump into running. The brushes wear then do not make good contact, this is they the pumps go soft and/or quit running.

Also make sure you have 3/4 tank or less of fuel, otherwise you will have a fuel leak when you pull the pump.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds Good. I will try tapping it to see if it does anything. I have about 1/2 tank of gas remaining in the car

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Seal ring goes on the fuel pump at about the middle of it.
insert the fuel pump sock in first, then when you have inserted the fuel pump into the tank about half way, now push the seal ring so that it is firmly on the tank. This side down always goes down!

Finally, pUT your pump all the way down makin sure the seal ring is still in tack and sealing properly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK guys, the fuel pump was definitely the culprit. I replaced it as instructed and the car fired up right away ! Thank you again for all the help !
Also just as a side note, I found it very useful to stuff some paper towels around the fuel hose to prevent any smell due to spillage.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Masruque,

I just had the same problem with my 2005 325ci. Changed out fuel pump, started right up. But my service engine soon light has not gone out. Did yours stay on, or go out?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I had the service engine light on, but the first time this happened, I had to jump start the car and the light went away. The second time the pump died on me, the light never came on before the car died. I had scanned it for codes before replacing the pump but there were no codes found.

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
Short story is a logic statement.

If you have an E46, Then it NEEDS a replacement fuel pump.

Live by these words or walk.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed with jfoj !

Kevman2, also you could scan the codes after replacing the pump and then clear them of all is running well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just ordered a Peake scanner to check codes, and clear the sevice engine soon light. I'll let you know. I checked to make sure i installed correctly, and make sure the gasket was seated properly. All good...:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts