BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm doing the radar detector hard wire...everything is going fine, wonderful even, which is very odd b/c ususally my DIY's end up in a mess, then it happens, I'm hit a brick wall. The screw that I have to take out to get the ground in won't come out, and I've tried ALL my screw heads, none of them work, the screw is almost worn to nothing, I'm going to have to work with another one. Can anybody give my any suggestions on how to get it out?

God...third DIY and third DIY mishap...well, this isn't exactly a mishap, but something bad ALWAYS happens when I do a DIY...

1. Floor mats, I break the screw...
2. CD Changer, I cut myself, really badly...
3. And now this, please help...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Okay what I usally do when a screw is worn out alot and it's really hard to remove is I slide a thin peice of metal under the screw head and then as im twising the screw I push up on the peice of metal and this usally works in getting the screw to turn and come out. If you can wedge a peice of metal or something under the screw head and then use force on it so it pushes the screw up and turn it should come out.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No possible way a thin piece of metal is going in where I want it to go...and no way am I drilling a hole...thanks though. Anyone else?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,825 Posts
use one of the wiring harness grounds. Should be any of the solid brown wires. Use a multimeter to test them first then use a wire tape. Much easier than anything else.

Tim

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ur not necessarily screwed

Use a screw extractor, which is a reverse thread (i.e., tightens counterclockwise) driver that you insert into a small hole that you have previously drilled into the screw head and into the shaft. You put the extractor into the hole and twist the screw out. Typically works well and if it doesn't, then just take a larger drill bit and redrill the hole, taking the offending screw with it. You will need to replace it with a sheet metal screw. Good luck!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tim330i said:
use one of the wiring harness grounds. Should be any of the solid brown wires. Use a multimeter to test them first then use a wire tape. Much easier than anything else.

Tim
Sorry, I have no clue what a multimeter is, but can I hardwire into the brown wire directly next the the blue/green one that I tapped into? This sounds like my easiest option as of right now...how would i get the hard wire to tap into the the brown wire? Thanks...and again, I don't plan on drilling anytime soon...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just use a dremel to cut a slot in the screw head and then remove it with a flat-head driver. I do it all of the time.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hm...that's a good idea, I'll have to borrow one from my brother in law...hm...I'll see how it goes, thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts