E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a video of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LheXZufBzIc

This developed over time (probably more than a year), and research from here has told me I might need to replace the "steering guibo": (part number is from realoem.com, #2 in the image). Any ideas, input, suggestions? How can I figure out if this part is worn or needs to be replaced?

EDIT: Btw, I checked that old thread earlier but it's too vague for me, so I made this new thread to make sure I have the same problem: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470103&

Flexible coupling for steering Part number: 32301094703 $48.97

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huh! interesting, i'll try that now. thanks for the input, any other ideas in the meantime?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does the airbag just pull straight out. I have the triangle sport wheel.

·
Registered
941 Posts
does the wheel rotation within the 'click' sound turn the wheel? If not it may just be something loose as monkeyjuice suggested. Hard to tell from the video but it sounds like its coming from the upper part of the column so he may be on to something. Otherwise in general I associate that noise with the gear box linking the steering arm to the steering linkage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does the wheel rotation within the 'click' sound turn the wheel?
Thanks for the response. Not sure what you mean? It clicks as it nears the end of the 2 inch "free-play zone"..?

Hope you're not referring to the bolt that is used to attach the steering wheel.
I think he is.. I just found some free time, so I'm gonna open it up and check it anyways.

--> I'm surprised no one thinks it's part #2 in the diagram. So something's either loose or I need to replace the entire gear box as fibonacci was referring to? Can someone please show me on a diagram which part it is that "links the steering arm to the steering linkage"; not sure what the gear box is exactly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm.. okay, I'll take your word on it! :)

Do you have any idea what I should be looking at or how I can test some of the suspect parts?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm not sure if this is visible, but I imagine you could have someone click the wheel back and forth while you look underneath at the steering linkage. Assuming the linkage/wheels don't move in the short wheel rotation which causes the 'click' you can assume its localized to the steering shaft/column. From the breakdown you provided ^^ it seems to be two separate pieces - I'd suggest replacing the cheaper part first, see if that does it. If that doesn't do it, then you know its the other half.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure if this is visible, but I imagine you could have someone click the wheel back and forth while you look underneath at the steering linkage. Assuming the linkage/wheels don't move in the short wheel rotation which causes the 'click' you can assume its localized to the steering shaft/column. From the breakdown you provided ^^ it seems to be two separate pieces - I'd suggest replacing the cheaper part first, see if that does it. If that doesn't do it, then you know its the other half.
Excellent explanation mate! So no tie-rod, etc. bullshit if my tires aren't involved and stay still during the test.. makes sense.

Just to make sure, either part #1 or #2 in the diagram right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds like any car when you turn the wheel when its off and in the 'locked' positon...was the car on when you took the video? or does it do this while driving too?
Hey, haha, I know what you mean, but no, it's exactly the same when driving. But much less with the front wheels jacked up in the air.

====

All right, so I jacked up the front wheels and checked it out. It's really easy to access actually. The clunking noise is definitely from part #2. That's for sure. It's loose. If I press it together while a buddy turns the wheel, the noise is gone and a little bit of the play is gone.

The majority of the play is from a rubber part underneath #2, whatever it is..

So the parts are attached like this:

Steel rod (part #1) ==>
part #5 (the steel thing with a hole in it ==>
rubber "guido", aka: flexible coupling ==>
another part #5 (the steel thing with a hole in it ==>
the suspect rubber part. THIS causes the play (i think)

I'm now trying to figure out from realoem.com's diagrams which part that is.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey, haha, I know what you mean, but no, it's exactly the same when driving. But much less with the front wheels jacked up in the air.

====

All right, so I jacked up the front wheels and checked it out. It's really easy to access actually. The clunking noise is definitely from part #2. That's for sure. It's loose. If I press it together while a buddy turns the wheel, the noise is gone and a little bit of the play is gone.

The majority of the play is from a rubber part underneath #2, whatever it is..

So the parts are attached like this:

Steel rod (part #1) ==>
part #5 (the steel thing with a hole in it ==>
rubber "guido", aka: flexible coupling ==>
another part #5 (the steel thing with a hole in it ==>
the suspect rubber part. THIS causes the play (i think)

I'm now trying to figure out from realoem.com's diagrams which part that is.
I may be wrong, but I've always thought that the number pointing to the thing with the "hole in it" refers to the type of bolt that goes into that hole. If you look on the bottom right corner of the diagram you posted, there's something like a legend that depicts those bolts. It might be that #2 comes as a whole and can't be broken further down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You're absolutely right. I was looking at it again on the realoem site and it's all one part. #5 refers to the torx bolts, as you said.

I was trying to find the rubber part that the flexible coupling (#2) attaches to further down and I can't find anything close to that general area on any realoem diagrams.

Why I think the rubber part is bad:
As I was looking at the whole assembly while my buddy was shaking the wheel, I could see that some of the rotational force is lost (therefore I get play in the steering wheel w/ no corresponding movement of the tires) in the connection between the flexible coupling (#2) and the rubber part it attaches to.

I just need a part number or a name so I can do some more research..

EDIT: Great picture! I marked the spot where mine was loose. The clunk noise and some of the play is because that flat head "bolt" (and one on the opposite side) is loose on my car, with no way to properly tighten it.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.