BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 330 Ci just went over 100,000 miles. All original suspension at the moment, except for the ball joints which were replaced about 20,000 miles ago. When I drive slowly, under 10 miles an hour, and turn left (for example into my driveway), I experience a loud knocking noise, and I can feel that knock in the steering wheel. It does not exhibit the problem when I make a right turn at the same speed, only when weight is transfered when turning left.

I've taken a look at the control arm bushings, and they do not seem to have a large amount of play in them.

The only other symptoms that may be related are that my front tires seem to exhibit some slight cupping at the outside edges.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? I would appreciate any guidance to help me self diagnose.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
check ur endlinks, just happened to me yesterday. had a slight clunking and then started to hear a metal sound ONLY when turning left. turns out my endlink is bad, check ur driver side endlink and see if it looks anything like this:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wait, does it knock multiple times? Or is it just a one time occurrence? If it only happen once, I'd bet on the sway bar endlinks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The sway bar links won't make that sound. The pic of the sway bar link above is a good one bc it shows that it is on it's way out but they will not make a sound when you are turning - probably steering coupling.

If you're driving "10 mph" and your car has a rattle but the suspension feels tight, then it's the links. Not hard to change and make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I've read that cupping can be due to shocks that need to be replaced, since they can no longer keep tires in contact with the road. After 60,000 miles you are due for new shocks.
You might consider getting a front end inspection from a good alignment shop, they typically need all worn out parts replaced before they can do a proper alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts