E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I bought a 2000 323i with 149k miles from a local dealer for $12,500. He sold it to me at cost because of the high miles. The car has a couple of minor problems but considering the miles it's in great overall shape. I called him today and asked if I could give him the car back as a trade for another E46. He said it would be ok, another words he could reverse my first purchase so that I won't pay tax twice.

I could trade for a 2001 325ci silver/silver, sport and premium package with 70k miles. He wants $19,300 for the 325ci so I would have to pay the difference ($6800) plus tax. Opions wise, the only thing the 325ci does not have that the 323i has is xenons.

What do you guys think, should I do it? Why? Why not?

·
ti-m-e
2,188 Posts
If both cars had the same mileage, I would say keep your 323ci as there isn't much difference. However, considering the 325 has less miles (an no issues I assume) you would need to justify the extra $6.5k. Either way they are both high mileage cars so it might not matter except for the extra cash outlay.

·
Registered
375 Posts
bmwfann said:
A few weeks ago I bought a 2000 323i with 149k miles from a local dealer for $12,500. He sold it to me at cost because of the high miles. The car has a couple of minor problems but considering the miles it's in great overall shape. I called him today and asked if I could give him the car back as a trade for another E46. He said it would be ok, another words he could reverse my first purchase so that I won't pay tax twice.

I could trade for a 2001 325ci silver/silver, sport and premium package with 70k miles. He wants $19,300 for the 325ci so I would have to pay the difference ($6800) plus tax. Opions wise, the only thing the 325ci does not have that the 323i has is xenons.

What do you guys think, should I do it? Why? Why not?
I'd totally go for the coupe. But... coupes make my knees weak.

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
unless you want a coupe over a sedan, I would say no. I would never buy a BMW w/o xenons or a moonroof. plus, the 325Ci seems overpriced, what options do you get?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to look at the 325ci and I was not impressed. It had some scratches on the rear bumper, a side skirt was loose and it looked like it had been in an accident in the front. Not to mention the airbag light was on.
I am planning on getting an M3 or M5 in about a year. I'm now trying to decide weather to keep the 323i or trade for a 1997 M3 4-door auto with 129k miles. The M3 is $10,500 so I would get back $2k plus tax. Both cars have high miles, I'm just thinking I will have more fun with the M3.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
bmwfann said:
I went to look at the 325ci and I was not impressed. It had some scratches on the rear bumper, a side skirt was loose and it looked like it had been in an accident in the front. Not to mention the airbag light was on.
I am planning on getting an M3 or M5 in about a year. I'm now trying to decide weather to keep the 323i or trade for a 1997 M3 4-door auto with 129k miles. The M3 is $10,500 so I would get back $2k plus tax. Both cars have high miles, I'm just thinking I will have more fun with the M3.
Get the m3

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
If you plan on upgrading in the near future, keep the 323i. It already seems to have the options you want, for the most part, and you're not gaining any power or performance by jumping into the 325. There's no real justification in spending the extra 6 grand.

·
Obey my dog
2,571 Posts
the E36 M3 has less miles and you will get money back?!?! i say jump on that deal.

edit: erm, i just re-read that the M3 is an auto... i don't know what to tell you now. :hmm:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WarSong said:
the E36 M3 has less miles and you will get money back?!?! i say jump on that deal.

edit: erm, i just re-read that the M3 is an auto... i don't know what to tell you now. :hmm:
They are both auto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts