BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm in the market right now to purchase a used M but i'm torn between whether I want a coupe or vert. I'm somewhat stuck on AW as a color and would love AW/IR interior. I live in maryland so the top wouldn't be down year round unfortunately but i would love it during spring/summer. I haven't seen the hard top in person, but from pictures, it just doesnt look like it flows with the car as much as i'd like it to, and its something I would have on my car almost half the year. Also the back of the vert's to me resembles more of a 3 series than it does an M. Performance isnt that much of an issue(know the verts weigh slightly more) cause I don't plan on tracking the car. What do you guys think is better looking overall? I plan on modding if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Hey, i'm in the market right now to purchase a used M but i'm torn between whether I want a coupe or vert. I'm somewhat stuck on AW as a color and would love AW/IR interior. I live in maryland so the top wouldn't be down year round unfortunately but i would love it during spring/summer. I haven't seen the hard top in person, but from pictures, it just doesnt look like it flows with the car as much as i'd like it to, and its something I would have on my car almost half the year. Also the back of the vert's to me resembles more of a 3 series than it does an M. Performance isnt that much of an issue(know the verts weigh slightly more) cause I don't plan on tracking the car. What do you guys think is better looking overall? I plan on modding if that makes a difference.
Go with a coupe. You live in Maryland, I here it gets pretty cold out there. If you don't really like the look of the vert then the coupe would be more practical. Also, verts are more expensive, so you would be saving money if you went with a coupe. If you live out here in Cali, verts are a must. :4ngie:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
coupe, its lighter, better in the winter, less roadnoise (negative is less engine sound as well)

not to mention its faster, much more firm, better handling, and it still beats the 335i ahah

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in Northern VA - I went with the vert as a second car. I'm glad I did it...but i use my first car (JeepGC) when I need to haul or it snows. Is this a second car? Also - you said you were going to mod - you can change up the look of the vert to bring it in line with the M look. I have Silver with black interior - it looks pretty damn good. I also hooked up an aux input and Parrot ck3100. Fricking bluetooth parrot deal works awesome. But dude - i know we live in a cold winter environment at times, but with global warming, it's been hot this year. I have been stylin/profilin all year. I never owned a vert until last yr and the only thing I can say is, I should had one sooner....a sport convertible car that can handle :) The M is a sweet car - yes....but no one can see you $200 sunglasses unless your driving a vert.

That's my 2cents.

·
Banned
492 Posts
+1 for coupe :)

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
had a convertible before (97 eclipse)
loved it.... but seriously, the last two years i had it, i barely put the top down.... just like anything else, it gets old.... and the "fun factor" of having the top down really does fizzle out (i LOVED the convertible and never thought i would be saying that.... but i am)
convertibles are seriously weekend cars
wind noise sucks
leaking sucks
and its extra weight
coupes look 10x better btw

go with the coupe... you'll have the sunroof which is just fine

·
Registered
53 Posts
:idea: Umm...How bout a Coupe'

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is being used as a first car, I really don't drive around all that much and have no need to haul anything, and if I did i would borrow a buddy's truck not mess with the M. I just like the fact that the vert looks so showy, but hate the hard top and back. If I did get the vert, I would add some rear mods, probably CSL trunk but I still dont think the CSL trunk helps that much because the lines are so different.

·
ti-m-e
2,422 Posts
I guess it depends on what you're after. I have two co-workers who have verts (non-M) and although it's fun to ride in I wouldn't want to own one. The ride is not as sporty as a coupe -I had a 325ci prior to the M- and there are alot of squeaks and rattles. I also like to drive incognito as I don't want people to see my $200 glasses ;)

As for styling, everyone has their preference; I happen to think the coupe is just darn sekkxi! I guess if you're more into cruising and being seen than the vert is all you. If you want a sportier ride you can take to the track every so often then go with the coupe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the vert is an entirely different experience. yea, there is a little more road noise, but so what! its all about personal preference and what YOU want out of the car. if its a 2nd car i'd definitely say go with the vert.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can't go wrong either way

Going from a Honda to my M3 Vert I can tell you that my M3 Vert with the top up is quieter than my old Honda. I can drive at 80mph and can barely hear the outside road noise so let's lay that one to rest shall we?

I really does depend on individual taste and expectations.
- Do you like the look of the vert with the top up? Because it sounds like your weather will require you to for at least 4-6 months out of the year.
- Do you like the feel of a little bit of wind in your hair? (Does your wife or girlfriend?)
- Do you mind 15 minutes of maintenance once a month to keep the squeeks out of your vert by lube & clean of the joints?
- Does your weather allow you to get 4-6+ months of sun a calendar year?
- Do you prefer to cruise or race?

I live in Seattle, WA where we only get 4 months of real sun a year. I realized that and still wanted the top down experience when I can get it, and like the look of the lines of the M3 Vert, even with the rag top on (Coupes look better, but an M3 vert still looks good to me even with the fabric on).

Me and my best friend (he bought a 2006 Mustang GT vert) have our first verts and are loving it after being Moonroof/Coupe guys all of our lives. But we want the cruise action. And being able to put the top down in Emerald City in the summer time to Alki beach or seeing the skyline unimpeded is a beautiful thing.

Racer or Cruiser - Can't go wrong either way.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Top Down Vert > Coupe

Top Up Vert < Coupe

And although im completely bias..i love the way my black top contrasts with my TiAg.

And to the person who said that with the top down the back seats look cheap....i personally love the way my car looks from behind!! All you see are two IMOLA headrests :str8pimpi

·
Registered
0 Posts
vert
-no blind spots with the top down
-easier to get in and out of with the top down
-with windscreen can run topless to 40

·
Registered
267 Posts
Where in Maryland? I have the vert WITH the hard top, if you want to see it. I only use it 4 months of the year...top down all the rest of the time. As for the hard top "not flowing" with the car...tghat's a very interesting comment, as EVERY comment i get about it is very positive, expecially among BMW owners. they all think it looks better than the coupe with the hard top...but of course that's all subjective. As for which to get...well, if you want every ounce of performence possible, get the coupe. If you want one of the funnest cars on the planet, that still has gobs of power, get the convertable.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts