BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My engine fan would come in after 20 minutes or so of driving. Sounds like a damn semi truck! Engine Temp gauge on dash never went above normal unless I was taking a long drive (2hrs or so) The fan in front of the radiator (bumper side) never comes on. Ever.
Sometimes my AC works, mostly while idling but while driving it above 40 it gets warm again.

*problem*
Tonight a Nj gas station attendant put 85 in my tank (half tank) when I asked for premium. I drove one block home, my eng temp gauge shot all the way up when I put it in reverse and tapped the gas. The engine hissed and started smoking. Big cloud of white smoke everywhere and sprayed coolant everywhere. Huge puddle in the street and all over my headlight, bumper, lower lip. Looking down in engine you can see the coolant on the bottom of the bay, caught in the engine splash guard underneath I guess
I cut car off immediately, but i can i can still cut back on.
Is this from the asshole putting 85 in my car ? I wanna pull the bumper off tomorrow and get a good look at where the leak it coming from. Could it just be a hose disconnected ?
Any recommendations ? As to what I should look for exactly ?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It has nothing to do with 85 octane gas.

Check:

Expansion tank

Belt/pulleys

Water pump

Thermostat

Radiator

Hoses

Taking the bumper off will not help you. All of the components you need to look at are all from the radiator back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Captain (lol)

It's dark outside rn but when I look down I see a disconnected hose on the right of the expansion tank. About half inch in diameter, could a hose becoming disconnected cause the big smoke and spray?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, "smoke" might be coolant landing/spraying on hot engine parts and burning/drying off. Don't drive it until that hose is connected and the rest of the cooling system has been checked or you will overheat the engine and your wallet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once I connect the hose, I'm guessing refill the coolant and test run it ? That hose def wasn't hanging out before today... what could have forced it to disconnect ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The cooling system is pressurized. Presumably, the release of pressure blew it off 🤷🏻*♂
Reconnecting that hose, refilling , properly bleeding the system and checking the parts listed by BMWCaptain should help you find leaks, old crumbling hoses or clamps, cracked expansion tank, leaves covering your radiator etc that might have contributed to the hose popping off.
Once you see the sheer volume of rubber and plastic used in these engines that cracks and crumbles over time, the less surprised you are when parts just crap out unexpectedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
When you reinstall that hose, use silicone grease on it and make sure you hear it click in. When instaaling BMW quick connect hoses make sure the clip is in the closed position when reinstalling the hose. You will then hear a click when the hose gets to the installed position.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trying to post a picture. Idfk how to.
Previous owner must have replaced the cooling system before i purchased because I see a lot of aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
might just have bmw replace the whole system and hoses again and just eat the bill.
No dont do that! That will cost you too much. Maybe $1000 - $2000.

You can DIY for about $500.

·
Registered
2005 e46 330xi 6spd
135 Posts
No dont do that! That will cost you too much. Maybe $1000 - $2000.

You can DIY for about $500.
Seconded, you don't even need that many tools....

Expansion tank, thermostat, hoses, water pump, a couple other odds & ends. You could replace more, but thats a good start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thos bullshit.
I replaced the expansion tank but the car is still overheating. When draining the coolant, the coolant itself was clean as if it was just poured in but it had like, little chuncks of dirt in it, looked kinda like mulch specks. Is it possible the coolant isn't circulating because of dirt in the radiator or sthn ? New radiator needed ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thos bullshit.
I replaced the expansion tank but the car is still overheating. When draining the coolant, the coolant itself was clean as if it was just poured in but it had like, little chuncks of dirt in it, looked kinda like mulch specks. Is it possible the coolant isn't circulating because of dirt in the radiator or sthn ? New radiator needed ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so the expansion tank says full, but the coolant inside the expansion tank is still very cool to touch, I don't think the coolant is circulating. Water pump ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also now my coolant light is back on ***55358;***56614;***8205;***9794;***65039;***55358;***56614;***8205;***9794;***65039;***55358;***56614;***8205;***9794;***65039;

·
Registered
654 Posts
After going for a drive check the coolant when the car is cool, if the coolant is on level the problem might be the water pump or radiator. I would just replace the whole cooling system and never worry again. I did my car 80k miles ago and haven't touched the cooling system yet. You must do the work yourself or get rid of the car. You can't take these cars to a mechanic.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The fcp euro kit is better but I don't do kits, I buy everything separately. You will need a radiator since yours is filled with garbage. The fvcking dummy before you probably used a stop leak product and clogged it.
Radiator should be behr
Expansion tank get modine. Which one did you buy?
Water pump get saleri
Rein hoses are fine
For the thermostat I got behr. Whaler leaks coolant

Research everything before you go buy parts. Read the mango cooling thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts