BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
sponsor Castle Motorsports
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what's up!
I recently purchased an 04 330cic. I never noticed this before but when I turn off the ignition, my oil light stays on for about 30 seconds or so. Maybe this is normal, but i never noticed this on my 330 sedan. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
1,128 Posts
yes, i also would have to say RTFM

in nicer terms: please be so kind as to review the information contained in the manual.

or, just read the f*ckin manual.

but yes, it just means you are a little low on oil and you need to top off.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Seems there are a lot of newer (2003-04) 3 series that are reporting
"low oil" or high oil consumption in their "new" cars.

Maybe we could start a thread on new BMWs and who has had to add oil and at what mileage?

I had to add 1 quart at around 5000 miles. At that rate, I'll have added 2 quarts of new oil which is 1/3 the oil capacity. BMW claims not to have to change the oil until 15,000 miles. Great, except for some of us we can't wait that long or we'd be over 1/3, almost 1/2, low on engine oil by the time we hit 15,000.

It's normal to use up some oil in any engine. I find 1 quart per 5000 miles a bit high for a brand spanking new BMW. I had a 2000 Mits Eclipse GT 3.0 V6
just before buying my 325, and the Mits used almost no oil in between it's
6000-7000 oil change intervals.

What gives BMW?

TT

·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bookus11 said:
yes, i also would have to say RTFM

in nicer terms: please be so kind as to review the information contained in the manual.

or, just read the f*ckin manual.

but yes, it just means you are a little low on oil and you need to top off.
Dude relax... The forum is a place for fellow fanatics to get information and to help others out. I don't know why some people (like you) get all rude and bent out of shape over a question. Perhaps not everyone on the boards are experts like yourself.
Besides, I did check the oil and I don't need to check the manual for that. But maybe, just maybe this is something new that i don't know about. The light doesn't saty on (if you read correctly). It just takes longer for it to turn off.
Nevertheless, thanks for your expert opinion!

·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SST said:
Seems there are a lot of newer (2003-04) 3 series that are reporting
"low oil" or high oil consumption in their "new" cars.

Maybe we could start a thread on new BMWs and who has had to add oil and at what mileage?

I had to add 1 quart at around 5000 miles. At that rate, I'll have added 2 quarts of new oil which is 1/3 the oil capacity. BMW claims not to have to change the oil until 15,000 miles. Great, except for some of us we can't wait that long or we'd be over 1/3, almost 1/2, low on engine oil by the time we hit 15,000.

It's normal to use up some oil in any engine. I find 1 quart per 5000 miles a bit high for a brand spanking new BMW. I had a 2000 Mits Eclipse GT 3.0 V6
just before buying my 325, and the Mits used almost no oil in between it's
6000-7000 oil change intervals.

What gives BMW?

TT
Thanks for the info. I first checked the oil level before i posted and it was fine. The car only has about 2500 miles on it. And I really didn't want to take it in for service for this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
...same thing happening to mine!

Oil was freshly refilled and 2000miles later I have the light on after egnition off and key turned and its not normal.

My dealer told me that!

Next week I'm there again...so they'ii hopefully find the reason why...

·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bro...keep me informed as to what reponse you get.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
One more thing, I had the yellow light after ignition off as well, that's how the system lets you know that you are low. The light would come on even though the oil level appeared ok at the dip stick. However, very soon the oil level dropped on the dipstick.

The way most dipsticks read is that they are not linear, meaning, that the level will drop VERY fast from the top as it takes less oil to move the oil level mark as it gets nearer the top. Also common is that the amount of oil needed between the lower oil mark and the upper mark is 1 quart, but remember, that is NOT linear. If the level is 1/2 way that doesn't mean you are 1/2 quart low, it could be 1/4 low. That's why it can move quickly.

Maybe the oil level sensor/sending units were setup a bit overly sensitive?
I don't know but my car seems to use too much oil. I hope it slows down.
Sometimes new engines will "use" more oil as they break-in.
We'll see.

TT

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,531 Posts
Depends on the car, depends on your driving habits, depends on the engine (how it was made, how it was broken in, etc.).

Measuring it like the manual recommends (driving it around until normal temp. (I'd just come from the freeway), waiting 5 minutes, then doing it) I was at the Max reading on the stick. I'm at 5000mi after my last change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts