BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my spark plugs today because of two things: Running rough and they are at least 5 years old with 100k. I got them all out except number 3. It gets tighter when I try to remove it and it feels like the racket is going to snap. What should I do?
See the pictures of the plugs I removed below.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Those spark plugs don't look good man. I think you might have a serious problem. Also, it sounds like the spark plug is seized. Try tightening it back in a little and then twist it out further. If that doesn't work, well then maybe it's better to just leave that spark plug be. If you want to continue loosening it then I'd suggest a long breaker bar. Just keep going until it's out. Don't use a small ratchet.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Spanner, I don't think he should be trying pb blaster in this situation, because it's going to get into the cylinder, and we don't want that getting into the cylinder.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,261 Posts
Those spark plugs don't look good man. I think you might have a serious problem.
Per his previous thread, he is battling a misfiring issue. Otherwise the spark plug look like most plugs that haven't been touched for 100K...

Spanner, I don't think he should be trying pb blaster in this situation, because it's going to get into the cylinder, and we don't want that getting into the cylinder.
Why not? It's combustible and will burn off in about 2 seconds once he starts the car.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It moved a little, but got tighter. I almost felt like something was going to break if I kept going.I'm using a 3/8" medium ratchet with a 6 point 5/8" spark plug socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the troublesome plug!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
When you try to loosen it counter-clockwise it feels like it's tightening? Obviously that shouldn't be the case, it's a standard thread like the other 5 you already did.

I'm thinking maybe it was cross threaded when it was installed so many miles ago and it's not going to thread out nicely. You can just try to apply more force and it'll probably come out but it'll likely destroy the threads in the process. Not sure what other option there is.

You probably know it's important to hand thread the plugs before you start torquing them because cross threading with the E46's aluminum head is not fun.

·
Registered
2016 328xi Sport (N26)
228 Posts
What about putting a little ATF oil on it. I doubt it will hurt anything. ATF penetrates really well. I'd put some oil on it and wait at leastan hour maybe 2. Let it penetrate. Even if cross threaded will help. People use ATF to clean engines... It dissolves burnt residue! It can reduce torque required by 20 to 30 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tighten it and drive the car. See if your faults are coming back. If you continue you may be pulling the head to fix the problem.

·
Registered
2016 328xi Sport (N26)
228 Posts
Don't underestimate penetrating oils and ATF oil. They work extremely well! I would not try this dry. They will only penetrate to half or 3/4 of the threads. I don't think you need to worry about these oils.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
don't use the ratchets wrench but a solid bar (as breaker bar) instead, then just go CW and CCW, back and forth until the movement increased, but don't force it too much or it might break.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,261 Posts
Do I use some PB Blaster penetrating oil and go back and forth with a breaker bar? I have a 1/2" breaker bar and my socket is 3/8" so I would need to use an adapter. Is that an issue?
It's only an issue if you're trying to torque/remove a fastener with much higher limits (think: suspension) than a spark plug. The advantage of a breaker bar over a ratchet for the kind of back-and-forth rocking movement you'll be putting on the spark plug is that you won't have to constantly keep switching the ratchet from "loosen" to "tighten" as you rock.

·
Registered
2016 328xi Sport (N26)
228 Posts
That's the right approach but make sure you use penetrating oil. Don't even try without it. I don't get why you would even consider not using penetrating oil considering the risk.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the right approach but make sure you use penetrating oil. Don't even try without it. I don't get why you would even consider not using penetrating oil considering the risk.
Cool! I will use penetrating oil. Let it soak overnight?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
It won't hurt but a warm head is an expanded head. As per the previous post, drive the car and then try to remove it from a warm engine.

When I changed my plugs, I found one plug was difficult to remove. After I had them all out, I saw that one of the plugs was missing the washer. Yep, it had never been on in the first place. It had fallen off when the plugs were put in and was jammed against the plug well.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It won't hurt but a warm head is an expanded head. As per the previous post, drive the car and then try to remove it from a warm engine.

When I changed my plugs, I found one plug was difficult to remove. After I had them all out, I saw that one of the plugs was missing the washer. Yep, it had never been on in the first place. It had fallen off when the plugs were put in and was jammed against the plug well.
Do I let it just for 15 minutes or do I need to drive it? I don't feel like putting it all back together again.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Hot head has soft aluminum threads!!! Beside the plug also expanded too, so gain is little but risk is high of softer threads. If you like, fire it up for 5 minutes idling, wait for 5 minutes then work.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts