E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I got my BMW Performance ssk in the mail early last week from ECS Tuning and on Sunday my dad and I installed it in the car. Once we had it in I realized there were multiple issues with the kit when we were starting to put the car back together.

Problem #1) The shifter leans way to the right in all gears and especially in neutral. It leans so bad that when I go to put the car in 5th, the shifter goes so far up and to the right that the shift boot gets pulled completely taught and there is no slack in it.

Problem #2) The shifts feel the same, if not worse. It didnt help shorten the throws at all. First to second is still stupid long, and same with 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th and vice versa. IDK whats going on but if thats the way the kit is supposed to be that was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent.

Problem #3) When installing the new shifter on the selector rod, the base of the shifter was too wide and to get the stupid clip on the end of the selector rod we had to remove a spacer and even that was a very tight squeeze.

IDK whats going on but im thinking maybe I got the 5 speed shifter even though it was a 6 speed knob? The part number for the shifter I got is PN: 25 11 7 527 259, ad the other label which I believe was the ECS # was 1 895 170 .

Pictures:

Neutral w/o boot (look at lean to right)

Neutral w/ knob and boot (look at lean)

First Gear (Still leaning to right)

Fifth (leaning, look at tension on bottom left of shift boot)

My car is out of commission until I get this fixed so please help asap!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
NICK don't tell me ECS tunings BMW Performance SSK is a dud! :( I was gonna buy one soon! Hope you fix it soon buddy, if you figure out what went wrong lemme know. Stav has it on his car, shoot him a pm and maybe he'll know what's up.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NICK don't tell me ECS tunings BMW Performance SSK is a dud! :( I was gonna buy one soon! Hope you fix it soon buddy, if you figure out what went wrong lemme know. Stav has it on his car, shoot him a pm and maybe he'll know what's up.
Good call bro. ill send him a message right now. Ill be sure to keep you informed:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The part number you listed for the shift lever is only for a M3.

You need a 25-11-7-528-881 for your vehicle.

Was the kit number 25-11-0-430-356?
:banghead: :facepalm:

Seriously? It took me a solid 4 hours to get the car apart and then try ad fit the new shifter and I didnt even get the car back together yet....

Im not sure about the part number of the whole kit, but this is the link:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330Ci-M54_3.0L/Drivetrain/Shifter/ES1899444/

and this is the picture of my order slip:

Where can I find the number for the whole kit? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
return it and get a rogue engineering ssk!
Its not a matter of getting something out of it...its a matter of getting my car up and running asap and from the sounds of it, i have to take the old kit out (I started putting my car back together today ), re install my OEM kit, and then go thru the entire process again when I get the right parts in. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Genuine Factory BMW Parts
281 Posts
:banghead: :facepalm:

Seriously? It took me a solid 4 hours to get the car apart and then try ad fit the new shifter and I didnt even get the car back together yet....

Where can I find the number for the whole kit? Any ideas?
Ugh, yeah sorry that's the wrong lever. That SSK doesn't have a specific part number. They are just using the lever out of the performance kit and added the ZHP knob, with necessary hardware. Not a bad thing at all, and something I've sold many times. I was under the impression you bought a complete performance SSK kit which would have its own part number.

You need to get the part number 25-11-7-528-881 shift lever.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ugh, yeah sorry that's the wrong lever. That SSK doesn't have a specific part number. They are just using the lever out of the performance kit and added the ZHP knob, with necessary hardware. Not a bad thing at all, and something I've sold many times. I was under the impression you bought a complete performance SSK kit which would have its own part number.

You need to get the part number 25-11-7-528-881 shift lever.
So your saying when I ordered this kit they put the kit together for me and grabbed parts x, y, and z they grabbed the wrong shift lever and threw it in with all the other correct parts?

Whats the difference from the "complete performance SSK" and the kit I ordered?

On their website it says the correct part number is 25117527259 for my car which is what they sent me, but you are saying that is incorrect?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have this shifter kit and it worked fine (the plastic bushings you took out to fit the clip back on happened in my case as well though).

My thoughts:

- Wrong shifter rod (as Mike mentioned)
- You didn't secure the pivot ball all the way down into the cup that holds it...?

·
281 Posts
So your saying when I ordered this kit they put the kit together for me and grabbed parts x, y, and z they grabbed the wrong shift lever and threw it in with all the other correct parts?

Whats the difference from the "complete performance SSK" and the kit I ordered?

On their website it says the correct part number is 25117527259 for my car which is what they sent me, but you are saying that is incorrect?
This is the "BMW Performance Kit"

The only difference is it comes with the boot and knob and has it's own number associated. The lever does come separate though.

The 25117527259 is incorrect for your vehicle and for M3s, which I believe to be the cause of your issues.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have this shifter kit and it worked fine (the plastic bushings you took out to fit the clip back on happened in my case as well though).

My thoughts:

- You didn't secure the pivot ball all the way down into the cup that holds it...?
When i put the pivot in i made certain it was in correctly because I know they are a ***** to get right.

I just compared their 330ci 6 speed page with thier m3 page and mike is right, they have the same part number for the 330 kit and the M3 kit.
:facepalm::banghead::banghead::ben::ben::censor::censor:

330ci 6 speed:

M3 6 Speed:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Drivetrain/Shifter/ES1899444/

This is the "BMW Performance Kit"

The only difference is it comes with the boot and knob and has it's own number associated. The lever does come separate though.

The 25117527259 is incorrect for your vehicle and for M3s, which I believe to be the cause of your issues.
So the shifter rod in that kit is what I truly need?

How the fukc has no one had this problem before that they keep selling this kits??

·
281 Posts
When i put the pivot in i made certain it was in correctly because I know they are a ***** to get right.

I just compared their 330ci 6 speed page with thier m3 page and mike is right, they have the same part number for the 330 kit and the M3 kit.
:facepalm::banghead::banghead::ben::ben::censor::censor:

330ci 6 speed:

M3 6 Speed:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Drivetrain/Shifter/ES1899444/

So the shifter rod in that kit is what I truly need?

How the fukc has no one had this problem before that they keep selling this kits??
That is what I'm thinking, and the first place I would start. The way you describe the install sounds like you're doing everything right, and that is the only thing I can see that's out of place. I'm honestly not sure if it could be anything else? :hmm: I know many shift levers that are interchangeable, think Z3 1.9 shift lever, but something looks off...

I certainly don't mean to bash ECS, and I'm pretty sure they'll make right. I just wanted to point this out.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

My thoughts:

That is what I'm thinking, and the first place I would start. The way you describe the install sounds like you're doing everything right, and that is the only thing I can see that's out of place. I'm honestly not sure if it could be anything else? :hmm: I know many shift levers that are interchangeable, think Z3 1.9 shift lever, but something looks off...

I certainly don't mean to bash ECS, and I'm pretty sure they'll make right. I just wanted to point this out.
I really appreciate it man. At least i have some leads now as to what went wrong when I call them tomorrow. Plus, it all makes perfect sense. It would describe all the problems. Thanks a ton man. Here, this is for you:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts