E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This blinker light is gonna be the death of me!

So I drew a little artistic diagram to aid in my explanation. Please excuse the stick-man-like awefulness.

Piece 1 is the blinker bulb, has little notches on the base of the bulb, that are supposed to turn into piece 2, which is a small round plastic piece that houses the base of the bulb and is supposed to turn and lock into piece 3, which is the piece that has the connectors and wired to the car.

The problem was that piece 1 was loose in piece 2, causing it to loose ocnnection and be able to wiggle around in piece 2. I fixed this by basically jamming the bulb into it sideways so that the notches are digging in where they are not supposed to be, but now piece 2 is loose in piece 3 :banghead:, and their does not seem to be any way of fixxing it other than superglue (but ill never be able to change the bulb again).

Does anyone else have this set up? I think these are ebay black housed lights or something, they are aftermarket for sure. I guess my question is, anyone else know how to repair this? or if i purchase new headlights will it come with these pieces or will i just buy new headlights and have the same damn problem.... I dunno what to do, but taking the headlight out and pushing bulb in deeper for it to last 24-48hrs isnt working.... :ben:

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,765 Posts
This blinker light is gonna be the death of me!

So I drew a little artistic diagram to aid in my explanation. Please excuse the stick-man-like awefulness.

Piece 1 is the blinker bulb, has little notches on the base of the bulb, that are supposed to turn into piece 2, which is a small round plastic piece that houses the base of the bulb and is supposed to turn and lock into piece 3, which is the piece that has the connectors and wired to the car.

The problem was that piece 1 was loose in piece 2, causing it to loose ocnnection and be able to wiggle around in piece 2. I fixed this by basically jamming the bulb into it sideways so that the notches are digging in where they are not supposed to be, but now piece 2 is loose in piece 3 :banghead:, and their does not seem to be any way of fixxing it other than superglue (but ill never be able to change the bulb again).

Does anyone else have this set up? I think these are ebay black housed lights or something, they are aftermarket for sure. I guess my question is, anyone else know how to repair this? or if i purchase new headlights will it come with these pieces or will i just buy new headlights and have the same damn problem.... I dunno what to do, but taking the headlight out and pushing bulb in deeper for it to last 24-48hrs isnt working.... :ben:
Look in bottom of #2 and if you see a brass tab, find something to pull it up a little bit...needle nosed...you just want to pull it up so that when bulb is in, this tab is pushing harder against it and thus keeping it in the little tabs. Also, clean any corrosion you see...or don't see...including on bottom of bulb.

As far as number 2 not fitting in #3...don't know...maybe you lost a spacer or something. Doesn't sound exactly like my lights...but this tab idea worked for me and I know for others.

Also, don't know why buying headlights would fix the blinker problem...at least on mine, blinkers are a separate housing. Not on yours?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sory i meant buying new signal lights, or new 1 piece headlights is such a thing exists. Anyways, i tried beding tab up, made it worse, beding tab down was better, made it last a day or so longer but would adventually wiggle it self out... so would new signal lights (corner lights) make a differance , like come with new housings?

and their is no corrosion anywhere, these lights are in good shape and fairly new, they are just cheap i think lol.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,765 Posts
sory i meant buying new signal lights, or new 1 piece headlights is such a thing exists. Anyways, i tried beding tab up, made it worse, beding tab down was better, made it last a day or so longer but would adventually wiggle it self out... so would new signal lights (corner lights) make a differance , like come with new housings?

and their is no corrosion anywhere, these lights are in good shape and fairly new, they are just cheap i think lol.
If it's not a bmw part, I hope someone will come along and recognize it from your sophisticated artwork. A photo would probably help!

I'm sure that the 'socket' would be it for you. If pulling tab up made it worse, I wonder if that has something to do with how it seems you've 'wedged' the bulb in before...also, you know, under the little buttons on the bulb is where you'll make electrical contact, so maybe that connection has corrosion on it...where you wouldn't be able to see it (I'm pretty sure it makes contact there...maybe a light scraping there too?)

Otherwise, I'd say start with a new socket (look for brand name on #2 and #3)...also, little thing, clean the contacts in the connector as well...elect. cleaning spray. Finally, BMW bulbs are better than ordinary bulbs.

The entire turn signal housing isn't something you should need. Search realoem for your car and you'll find what you should have. Oh, also, check in the showroom or lighting forum...those guys play around with all kinds of lights and stuff and ought to know...but take a photo and post it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so.... This STILL isnt fixed. I fuked with it some more, and it worked for a lil while, but again it loosened up, lasting maybe a week longer. I dont understand what I need to replace. According to Real OEM, this part doesnt exist. Its a 2000 323i, and the blinker socket assembly is one piece in the picture. But on my car, the bulb has a black plastic piece that fits over the base of the bulb, to make it bigger and fit into the slots and into the socket itself. the problem is that the bulb is loose and wiggles in and out fo the middle piece. I tried jamming it in with the little tabs on the bulb in the sides of the middle piece instead of the slots it is designed to go into, and it worked for a bit, but again finally wiggled itself loose again yesterday. Im gonna fix it with a baseball bat soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts