BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000, 328i.

Went out to the car this morning tried to unlock with remote, and nothing. Unlock it manually and try to unlock the doors with the inside power unlock button, and nothing. Car seems to be completely dead. Try starting, Nothing, not a click or a sound. Turn the key to the #2 position and the middle Warning triangle comes on (faintly mind you) the Battery and Oil lights come on, the fuel gauge reads accurate, and the temperature gauge goes ALL the way up to Red. I can't turn it over, or even get a click. I drove it less than 13 hours ago. No problems. Lights wont even come on. Not sure if I may have left some light on or the running lights on last night, but its quite possible. I just replaced the battery 2 months ago so its not old. That being said, is it normal for the Temp gauge to shoot to the top with a COMPLETELY dead battery? If so, I think I just killed it and need a to charge/jump.... If this is not normal and I didn't leave anything on... WTF is going on!?!

The communities thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
um...

Do you have some aftermarket installation audio equip. which is stealing energy even tho everything is (supposedly), turned off? You could check with a meter (in line), for current draw (at the battery), and pull system fuses to narrow it down.

These vehicles are voltage-sensitive. That is probably why the instruments are all over the place... No click from a start solenoid is usually a dead battery.

Try a computer-controlled recharge and a load test on the batt. How old is it, btw? Clean all connections really well. Or, get a new battery and test the charging system
for problems keeping the battery up to charge. Got a Bentley BMW work manual?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not a clue. Going with dead battery, but the temp gauge thing is a little mysterious. let us know what you find.

Free Bump......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have some aftermarket installation audio equip. which is stealing energy even tho everything is (supposedly), turned off? You could check with a meter (in line), for current draw (at the battery), and pull system fuses to narrow it down.

These vehicles are voltage-sensitive. That is probably why the instruments are all over the place... No click from a start solenoid is usually a dead battery.

Try a computer-controlled recharge and a load test on the batt. How old is it, btw? Clean all connections really well. Or, get a new battery and test the charging system
for problems keeping the battery up to charge. Got a Bentley BMW work manual?
Well, as I said in the post, the battery (Duralast 49-L) is 2 months old. I had to bike to work today :) so I'll test it with Volt-Meter when I get home, I've performed load tests and power drain tests and I don't have a problem. No aftermarket anything. I've had the codes checked before when I replaced my fuel cap and It came back that I needed a new thermostat sensor and thermostat. The dealer reset it and said wait till it comes back on... it hasn't. That was 1 1/2 months ago, temp gauge behaves normally even two weeks ago with a 350 mile round-trip to the Sierras and back. Sat at half or a few ticks under the entire time.

What is a computer controlled Recharge?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a clue. Going with dead battery, but the temp gauge thing is a little mysterious. let us know what you find.

Free Bump......
Think its okay just to try and Jump it and see what happens? I might call AAA, because I haven't used them once this year... that way I don't have to bug my cranky neighbor. Free Bump... whats that mean (sorry I'm a newb to forums)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Think its okay just to try and Jump it and see what happens? I might call AAA, because I haven't used them once this year... that way I don't have to bug my cranky neighbor. Free Bump... whats that mean (sorry I'm a newb to forums)
Don't jump this car, I have only heard horror stories. Trickle charge with a 20$ battery charger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Step1, yank the battery out, take it to Autozone or wherever and let them load test it, you may have a bad one. Couple of things that have happened to me personally: 1) Drove my wife's MPV 8-9 miles, parked. Hour later, tried to start, nothing, not a click. Battery was less than a year old. Bad. Pep Boys replaced for free. 2) 1987 Acura Integra (long time ago). Left work, drove 14 miles home, stopped to get the mail, got in the car, not even a click. Batteries do weird #$%. Eliminate that first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i agree with elimante battery first. same issue replaced battery but was atill getting dead battery. But with my issue was the the final stage resistor. It was causing interior fan to run while vehicle was sitting. Just wanted to mention so you can cancell this out. Resitor causes fan to run non stop. it fixed my dead battery issues. make sure when you turn your car off you do not here the fan (blower) running on the inside of the vehicle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts