E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ben:
I have a 2003.5 M3 which just started making a terrible ticking noise yesterday. The audio quality is bad so it sounds slightly worse than it is, but the ticking is loud and seems to be coming from the valves. Does it just need a serious valve adjustment? Or is something much worse. Rod Bearings?

It started happening pretty instantly. I heard it one before two days ago, but it stopped instantly so i wasnt sure what to make of it. I dont plan on driving it until its fixed. I am new to the m3, but I had a 330ci for 3 years so i am fairly familiar with e46 basics.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_-Y6gwBb6o&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
192 Posts
That sure doesn't sound like valves to me. If I were to guess I would say your vanos is what's making the noise. Maybe broken hub or bolts or both. Hopefully someone with a lil more knowledge will chime in. Hope you get it fixed soon tho.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could be fuel injector gone bad. The car has pretty loud injectors as it is and that frequency i pretty fast. how many miles on the m3?

·
Registered
26 Posts
btw....take a long screw driver...stick it between different parts of the engine and your ear - to locate where the noise is coming from. Use it as a stethoscope. Youll hear it very very loud and might even feel it.

Points to look - vanos exhaust side and intake side
Fuel injector rail...on each injector. I was listing to mine with an actual stethoscope this morning so I know the sound they make. This sounds way louder but same frequency....so It could be that.

Hope that narrows it down for you

·
Registered
483 Posts
From all the Vanos related research I have done this does sound like that!! Agree with above - do not start again or drive. Call a flatbed and get your car to an Indy or dealership ASAP.

Good luck!!

- Danny

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The video makes it sound slightly different than it is. I tried listening with a stethoscope and it seemed to be coming from the center of the engine, near the valve train. To be honest though I couldn't really tell, that's just a best guess. Thanks for your input.

It has 124k miles. It's not throwing any codes.

·
Registered
488 Posts
go talk to a couple indys and show them the video, and just get it towed to a local indy after talking to them. thats my advice..............

Btw check your plugs see if there loose.... sometimes when one plug is loose it'll make a knocking noise

·
Registered
31 Posts
it sounds like a vacuum hose blew off under the manifold; it sort of goes with the symptom of poor initial idling. It could also be a loose plug like someone above said.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Updated.

I just took the valve cover off today. There are no major signs of wear, but for whatever reason the first three pistons look much cleaner than the others. I wonder if this is oil depravation the previous owner did some repairs.
:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I just took the valve cover off today. There are no major signs of wear, but for whatever reason the first three pistons look much cleaner than the others. I wonder if this is oil depravation the previous owner did some repairs.
:eek:
I see some marking on the cams and such. Did you place those there?

·
Registered
53 Posts
go talk to a couple indys and show them the video, and just get it towed to a local indy after talking to them.
Best idea....I would do this.

Only way to get professional help with your motor without having to reach so deep into your pockets...

Good luck :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts