BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know the first thing about tires, guys. I was hoping someone could help me out.

I have an '02 330CI with the sport package. My current wheel setup is the Style 72///M "V" spoke wheels. I believe they're 18X8 front, 18X8.5 rear. (Offset: ET47 front, ET50 rear?? - I don't even know what an offset is :facepalm:)

Here's a picture:

I was wondering:

a.) what's the widest tire I can put on the wheel/car. I run 255 on the rears now but I was hoping maybe 265 w/spacers. 225 (or wider) fronts. Thoughts?

b.) where should I purchase tires? I don't have that much expendable cash at the moment, so I want to get the best deal/value possible. (I wasn't expecting to purchase tires in the near future - rear passenger failed on me today.) Is it cheaper to go to a local tire shop or purchase online and have someone fit the tires?

c.) I want to get spacers. Do you guys have any recommendations for the 2002 330ci w/sport pkg and those v-spoke wheels? I'm looking for an aggressive, flush look.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
b.) where should I purchase tires? I don't have that much expendable cash at the moment, so I want to get the best deal/value possible. (I wasn't expecting to purchase tires in the near future - rear passenger failed on me today.) Is it cheaper to go to a local tire shop or purchase online and have someone fit the tires?
I can only comment on the item above..... It all depends. Depends on the local dealers and the sales they have and if they have the tires you want. I got my tires at TireRack - they had what I wanted when non of the local deals carried then (Continental DWS - All Season).

You have to shop and compare the TOTAL price - remember - the price for an installer might not include balancing, alignment etc... till you get there. Be sure of the TOTAL price as other local dealers may include all for the incidental fees\balancing\rotation in the per tire cost.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Widest tires you could run are 235/40 18 in the front and 255/35 18 in the rear on 8 and 8.5" wheels. That said a 225/40 in the front is closer in diameter to the 255/35 in the rear and will look more normal. The rears will fit fine without spacers, the fronts may need some spacing out to clear struts. Get the tires (I recommend 225/40 F and 255/35 R... not cheap) and test fit them and buy spacers to get them to sit where you want afterwards. I have a sedan so I'm not sure about fender flush mounting for a coupe. For me it'd be about 15 mm front, 18mm rear, but coupe fenders give more room (perhaps only in the back... not sure).

And buy at TireRack.com :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had great experiences with DiscountTire.com I've purchased 2 sets of tires for my 330i and talked to customers while waiting on tires to be mounted and so forth and they've had nothing but great experiences too. Just like the previous poster put about the TOTAL price, always get the "out the door or total" price cuz they always try to beat their competitors. One thing I like about DiscountTire is they always match their competitors if not give you another 5 or 10% off to prove that they're the ones that want your business.

I have the same style 72's staggered set. I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 225-40-18's on the front and Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position 255-35-18 on the rears. The drive is quiet, plenty of traction, no rubbage and looks great! To my knowledge I don't have any spacers on my 03 330i. Hopefully this helps.

·
Banned
6,697 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Dry Wet Snow) would be my recommendation for tires. Excellent performance for their category, high quality tire and a great price for what you get.

225/40R18 Front
255/35R18 Rear

www.TireRack.com is an excellent place to purchase tires. Great prices, outstanding reputation, solid customer support and a huge selection with fast shipping (assuming not back ordered). I purchase my tires from there and recommend others to do the same. Plus they are a site sponsor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts