BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I bought a 2003 330ci M-Sport a few months back and the guy had it serviced at 149,500 + kms just before I bought it from him.

During the early periods the car would display oil service for 176,000kms. I was intending to do it at 160,000 anyway. But I've only driven the car for 1,500+ kms and the oil service is already showing 160,000. And seems like it keeps dropping.

Should I;

A) Service at 160,000 kms regardless;
B) Service whenever the kms match?

Is there something wrong here?

By the way I checked my driveway and garage, it's pretty clean. No oil leaks on the floor.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
I change my oil by around 7500 miles anyway depending on how I have been driving the car. On my highway warrior, I will change it around 10k miles, but this is also because I have taken 1100 mile straight highway drives.

I have modified the oil change service reminder in my E46 to trigger at 1/2 of the factory setting as well. So it counts down from 7500 mile.

Typically the oil change service reminder is triggered by the amount of fuel used, not the actual mileage driving.

·
Registered
'03 E46 325i with 6MT & LSD
2,186 Posts
^jfoj is correct. It changes depending on how much fuel is used, and not actual running mileage. I reset my counter when I hit 125,000 kms, and it showed 25,000 kms remaining for a while. As of right now (I'm at roughly 136,000 kms), and have had an oil change at 127,000 kms (when i reset my counter it was not after an oil change - just to have nice even numbers again).

Overall, just do your oil changes every 10,000 kms or so if you are running an LL-01 oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typically the oil change service reminder is triggered by the amount of fuel used, not the actual mileage driving.
Appreciate that. I thought I was running out of oil too soon.
I am looking at servicing every 10,000kms. Which equals to 6200 miles. Is that safe?

Also would you happen to know what the icon in the green circle is?
It has flashed once while I was at high rev, possibly 2nd gear before shifting into 3rd. (Automatic Transmission)
And once while I was driving over a bumpy road. Wasn't too bumpy either.

·
Registered
311 Posts
DSC light. indication that one or more of the wheels slipped

1 - 6 of 6 Posts