BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Keep it clean
8,069 Posts
WOOOT! I would actually like to see how the Apex look on my car :)

I actually put down a few stripes yesterday on the way home. Tires have about 300 miles on them.

The only other thing I can throw into the mix is that I turned my Konis WAY down about 3 weeks ago. So, the suspension is much softer. But, I've been driving on the bald Hankooks for quite some time, and it seemed grippier than it does right now.

Also, car feels floaty lately. I'll get her in for an alignment soon.

:idea: If you want, we could swap your rear wheels onto my car for a few minutes and break them in mrshelley style....

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Keep in mind that you're going to notice some squirm from the full depth tread blocks on your new tires, especially coming from tires with essentially no tread. This might be your floaty feeling. It's also possible bushings may be going bad but it seems unlikely that you would only start to notice this after installing new tires. You could always try swapping your tires front to rear (since you have a square setup) and see how that affects the feel of the car. If it's been borderline tail happy since the new rear tires and rotating tires front to rear causes it to start to push, you know it's the tires.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i was actually having no problems all yesterday and today even when i went up to the canyons for a little while till my friend crashed his porsche so we only went up about 3 miles. then went to hollywood with no problems and then finnaly when im leaving the gas station at the end of the night at about 1130 it happens again -__- so i dont know yet. seems to be better

·
Keep it clean
8,069 Posts
I'm still having issues with this. I got an alignment on Saturday morning. Although I'm unhappy with the experience, the alignment should be "ok". I have too much negative camber up front, but the rear is back in spec (toe was crazy). I'm wondering if I just need to crank the stiffness back up on the rears a bit. Frustrating to have the car feel so unsteady at pretty conservative speeds on the twisties.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
i was actually having no problems all yesterday and today even when i went up to the canyons for a little while till my friend crashed his porsche so we only went up about 3 miles. then went to hollywood with no problems and then finnaly when im leaving the gas station at the end of the night at about 1130 it happens again -__- so i dont know yet. seems to be better
did you ever figure out what was causing the problem? same thing is happening to my brother after he got new tires

·
Registered
4 Posts
DSC light flashes

Yay my first post/reply.
Any way I figured to share this:
I had the same light flashing on me while driving and lose of power after replacing my rims ( size 15 on my 99 e46 ) with size 16. Came to find out it was the back tire were different size than the front.
Front : 225/55/16
Back : 205 something I don't remember.
So after installing 225/55/16 on the back voila problem solved.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i'm having the same issue. I've only had to replace the front tires thus far. My rear tires and getting to be a bit worn and i know i need to replace them soon. This issue has only started recently. In 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. if i turn DSC off, everything works great. Should i be looking at the ABS sensors?

·
Registered
1 Posts
E46 320D Traction Cutting Power, DSC Flashing

Has anyone here found an alternative solution for this other than tyre pressures or new tyres?..

I've had this problem for the last 18 months or so, usually when the car has been stood for a few hours, where the power is cut under medium acceleration in any gear. It does clear once everything has been moving for about 10-15 minutes.
This indicates it must be a sensor of some kind, and I've changed tyres several times with no change...

However, I'm hesitant to jack the car up and try and get in their to find this "speed sensor" on a whim (plus I do not have easy facilities for this), so I'm actually waiting to see if anyone confirms what will solve the problem?

In the meantime, I just drive with the DSC off for now. The car drives perfectly fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was horrible experience for me!!! Thanks for giving me some ideas from this thread. I was doing 55mph and making 25 degree turn when the whole front went left while the back was going right. The DTC/DSC light kept flashing. It felt like I was driving on ice.
Well, this is what I did and it seems to do it for me.

The putz tire installer inflated the rare new 255/35 r19 tires to 50PSI. I deflated to 40 PSI and turned off DTC/DSC and did a 25mile stretch and no issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was horrible experience for me!!! Thanks for giving me some ideas from this thread. I was doing 55mph and making 25 degree turn when the whole front went left while the back was going right. The DTC/DSC light kept flashing. It felt like I was driving on ice.
Well, this is what I did and it seems to do it for me.

The putz tire installer inflated the rare new 255/35 r19 tires to 50PSI. I deflated to 40 PSI and turned off DTC/DSC and did a 25mile stretch and no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Traction control flashing

Please advise....I have a E46 320i coupe, and only a few days ago whilst I was driving my traction control light started flashing and this was the first time this had happened, whilst the tc was flashing, my brakes had no pressure n I could feel the ABS under my feet a bit like stepping on a turning rotary wheel when I pressed down on it and when the tc light stopped flashing, my brakes started to work as normal again. At one point it started to flash continuously for a few minutes and when I came to a stand still my engine suddenly stopped, fortunately It started up again without any trouble and it's been 6 days now and I haven't yet experience this again. If anyone has any ideas on what it could be, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Bump

Encountered this problem today, Dsc light flashes upon applying throttle at any speed / gear.

Last maintenance performed was replacing a coil that was failing and throwing misfire and fuel cut off in that cylinder. Tires are stock 17s, have been on the car for a year without any issue.

Hopefully it is an intermittent problem (aka maybe one time occurrence).

I'll check tire pressure!

·
Registered
666 Posts
DSC uses the ABS sensors to determine if a wheel is slipping.
I would check the following:
sensors are seated and not loose.
Sensor wires are intact.
Sensor connectors are clean and that the seals aren't failing.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Update, finally had enough and since I was swapping wheels, from 18 to 18s.. Took out each sensor, put some brake clean on em and wiped them but there was no difference in looks.. Mine weren't coated with metal or anything. The only one that looked weird was drivers rear, like it was hitting the hub and kinda getting grinded on, rest looked normal without any build up or anything.

Anyways, only 15 miles driven thus far but the power surge is gone and I'm able to go through turns without having Dsc kick in and I haven't had to press the Dsc button in order to alleviate the issue (power loss while accelerating, accelerating through turns)!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys i need some help with a problem that just started yesterday. well under medium-ish acceleration(not flooring it and not burning rubber at all) my dsc light will flash and i will have little(if any) to no power at all. usually if i come off the accelerator it will give me the power again. this has happened about 4 times within the past 2 days, and i just dont want my car to break down after all the money i put in my car for bimmerfest :banghead: so any help please! i did a little research and it might be a wheel speed sensor? Can anyone confirm that. (which would make sense since i got my two rear tires replaced yesterday. Id really hate to miss bimmerfest cause of this so help me out please! :)
I have 2004 330 ci happened to me same,i did change all 4 speed sensor but still same problem.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There are a few reasons for DSC to trigger.
1) Bad ABS sensor OR Signal
2) Alignment is off/bad angle sensor.
3) You are about to careen to your death and BMW wants to save you.- AKA you lost traction and a wheel is spinning too fast or too slow.

Any time I've had my car of alignment from working on steering/lowering/whatever, if I drove straight down the road but had an angle in my steering wheel, DSC would trigger. When it does the car will kill power like you described because it thinks you just lost traction.

The angle sensor I'm referring to is in the steering column, it measures the angle of the steering wheel. This is used with wheel speed to determine if you have traction.

Some things to look at:
Is the steering wheel straight?
Is your tire pressure good on all four tires? A mismatch could cause the same effect.
How are your ABS sensor wires? Are any damaged? What about the connectors? They are beefy but could have gotten munged.

IIRC there is a way to calibrate the steering angle sensor...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts