BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I had made up my mind for a cupkit until Detroit got snow this afternoon. Driving home I realized that I would have been plowing I-75 if lowered that much. Middle of lanes had 4-5" of slush (as deep as the lowest car to pass recently - which I don't want to be me after lowered!).

How hard is it to adjust the height of coilovers (to raise by about 1-1.5" for the winter). Are some brands easier than others (was thinking about PSS to keep to about $900). If it's an extra half hour when I change tires this seems like a good solution.

If I get an alignment for the summer height, how hard would it be on my winter tires not to realign?

If this is not a practical solution I may just go with springs for a 1.3-1.5" drop (from my current non-SP height).

Any other ideas?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Should be the same for all coilovers...

But don't really know how to raise and lower it myself...I would like to know that too...Anyone???

·
booo for body roll.
3,435 Posts
i heard front is easy, all u do is jack up take off wheel adjust

but for the rear, u ahve to jac it up, take off the wheel, take off the shock or strut i dont know what its called.

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
go with Ground Control.. easy to adjust. No need for the 2 wrenches that all other use. ALso GC will customize your spring rates to what you desire.. also you can spend 399 now for the perches & springs & then go with koni shocks later when you save up. ALso they use Eibach conical springs...

I dont know why more people dont buy them.. people say its not a real coilover because it has threaded sleeves.. oh well, I have em & love em.

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
oh yea funny story, my "Dinan authorized" mechanic did not really want to install my gound control coilover because he only deals with good stuff like Bilstien. I said ok, Ill pick up my car.. he calls back 15 mins later & tell me this.

"Hey I can do your install for you"
What happened?
"I called Dinan & asked them about Ground Control, looks like you have a quality product here."

Also spoke to the owner of Michalangelo (Richard), who some of you are familiar with. He also believes that GC is a quality product.. A lot of people assume because they dont know...

·
Banned
1,504 Posts
adjusting is very easy. for the front just jack the car up and the wheel will hang down low enuf to sneak in your arm and the wrench. then just turn the nut around the screw and up and down the car goes :)

rear is a bit more of a ***** cause u gotta take the wheel off, but u can adjust without removing the shocks.. :dunno:

theres basicly a wrench that u put onto a giant nut and u turn that to move the car up and down :)

i have bilstein PSS btw, if u have any more questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ground control coilovers are a good product, but it's better to use them with shocks and struts designed for them. Using coilovers by themselves on your sport suspension is not a good idea:tsk:.
Trust me I know from own experience:banghead:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts