E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a week ago, I noticed my 325i was about to overheat, I quickly took it home to assess the situation, I noticed my fan clutch was bad, ordered the part online but was forced to drive it while it shipped, it only overheated
15%-20% while I drove(the temp gauge constantly fluctuated). when the part came in, I changed it and went on a test drive, all was fine till it started to overheat again :banghead:. I then noticed the hose coming down from the thermostat was cold, so I went to advanced auto and bought a new one and changed it today. went for a drive and all was fine except my heater STILL DIDNT WORK! it only gave slight heat when I accelerated quickly. and on the way home, the temperature gauge raised to the red twice. can anybody help me with my heater/overheating issues??

Also, I replaced the expansion tank not to long ago, and the coolant has pretty much been flushed, it used to leak so bad I topped it off every 3 days. and the water pump was changed by the previous owner in august of 2014.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thermostat was made by stant, and no I didn't flush the system, how do you do that?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

·
Shifting
31,677 Posts
the thermostat was made by stant, and no I didn't flush the system, how do you do that?
Never heard of that brand (should have went with Behr or Walher. Good habit to ask us first before making any purchases)

+1 on mangos thread. You will have to remove the bleeder screw and keep pouring pouring pouring until zero bubbles come out. Have a gallon of coolant available.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I will buy more coolant tomorrow and get back with yall, thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i already have prestone in it, can i just continue to use that? Does it ACTUALLY make a difference?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, im new to threads so im not sure how they work, does everybody else get notifications when i reply? Or do i have to quote them for them to receive a notification?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, well when i get out of school ill buy more coolant and bleed the system and hopefully ill get my heater back and stop the occasional over heating

·
Registered
466 Posts
You obviously have air in the system as others have noted, a bleed is a must do after any coolant system related work. I would recommend picking up the right coolant since you have never changed it yourself, as you noted above just topped it up, and now you've most likely mixed Prestone with the OEM blue BMW stuff. Just do a flush, bleed/purge the air out, once you have heat your good to go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It used to leak alot, so all of it has been replaced over time, but yes i still do need to bleed the system

·
Registered
529 Posts
No harm in mixing BMW branded Pentosin blue coolant with Preston or any other coolant. They are all compatible with one another. All modern coolants are safe to use in BMW aluminum engines.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would like to thank you guys for the advice, i bled the system like you said and i now have a functional heater! And it didnt seem to overheat again either

1 - 20 of 20 Posts