BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would only purchase the seals if they were dry and cracked looking. If they are still in good condition, leave 'em and save the $40 for another project.

I replaced my headlight lenses about a year and a half ago. The seals were still in great condition. The rubber that I actually need to get replaced is the rubber seal/cover strip that is above the headlight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also recently replaced my headlight lens with ones made by Bosch. Looks great but the light beam is very uneven. I can see bands of dark stripes on half of the sides. Also the right side of the beam has significantly lower coverage than the left side. I'm now thinking of sucking up the cost and getting the genuine BMW ones instead. Has any of you had a different experience?

·
Registered
456 Posts
It may just be that they are clean now and you can see the unevenness. When they are all cloudy and scratched you get a more diffuse beam ....

·
Registered
456 Posts
I also did the Khoalty lenses a couple weeks back. Looks great. Didn't buy the seals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It may just be that they are clean now and you can see the unevenness. When they are all cloudy and scratched you get a more diffuse beam ....
Good point. But my other car (Z4) with just 17k miles on it has an almost perfect beam in comparison (just a few barely noticeable stripes at the outermost corners of the beam). I looked at a couple of other cars too and none of them have this crappiness I'm seeing. I get ripped off with a fake product maybe?? (fitment and finish were perfect though)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi jas594/bobtoronto - so you're saying you dont see anything odd about the headlight pattern at night? Mine look great on the outside .. but the light output is pretty bad.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My kholty ones should be here soon, godod to know everyone likes them.

Didnt getva new seal, but if my looks faded il just heat gun it to look to,as long as its sealibf

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I installed my replacement lenses form Khoalty around 2 weeks ago. I sprung for the new seals as well because I noticed one of my headlamps fogging up after a carwash. I have to say I am very happy with the new lenses. The seals that came were just a tad too large, but I solved this problem by recutting them and since I have no fog behind the lens and they give my 330i a much more 'new' feel.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sorry to threadjack, but if I were to replace the lens on my facelift headlights, would I need to buy more "glue" or whatever they use when I install the new ones?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sorry to threadjack, but if I were to replace the lens on my facelift headlights, would I need to buy more "glue" or whatever they use when I install the new ones?
Facelift sedan? No

Facelift coupe? Very likely.

·
Registered
456 Posts
They are not OEM but appear identical to OEM when compared side to side.

Sirrino: I notice a little stripeyness off to one side (45 degrees from straightahead), but the main part of the beam is fine. I consider it acceptable. Much better light than before with my old pitted lenses.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
They are not OEM but appear identical to OEM when compared side to side.

Sirrino: I notice a little stripeyness off to one side (45 degrees from straightahead), but the main part of the beam is fine. I consider it acceptable. Much better light than before with my old pitted lenses.
if these are cheaper than the OEM $200 a pair, i'd def get them now... this is awsome news to me.

maurer, i'm not sure. but following http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/facelift-coupe-angel-eyes/ that DIY, it seems they just "remelted" the glue to seal the lights. i've heard of ppl from the VW forums use something they bought from home depot, like some sort of chaulk sealant but i'm not 100% sure

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bought the lenses from Khaolty (thread).

Look great, very happy with them. After I put them on and washed the car I noticed a little condensation in the lens.

I bought the seals and problem solved. The old ones looked fine and were in good condition.

Only wish I had done it once instead of twice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts