E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my left headlight was getting foggy and I saw videos of people using acetone. I put acetone and then my headlight just went from foggy to basically white how the picture shows.

I tried wet sand,polishing, restoration kit and nothing is removing it. The acetone probably ate the plastic. It has improved with alcohol but not by alot

does anyone know a way to clear it with some type of liquid ?

if not where can I find headlights that covers the headlight and blinker into one piece ? Most places sell the headlight and not blinker

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 330XI Auto
186 Posts
Acetone would eat into the plastic. If you want to restore it, you'll need to remove the top layers. What grit sandpaper did you use? What year and model do you have? Factory headlights or aftermarket?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Acetone would eat into the plastic. If you want to restore it, you'll need to remove the top layers. What grit sandpaper did you use? What year and model do you have? Factory headlights or aftermarket?
Yeah they are after market headlights. What I did was use acetone and then it completely turned white. I used 600 grit then 1000 then 2000 and polished and it helped a little. I have an 03 bmw 325 xi

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,020 Posts
I feel for you.
There's so much information on the internet, unfortunately a lot of it is bad. The acetone is a solvent and penetrated just a little.

You've got a heck of a sanding job in front of you. I suggest you remove the light and trim and do it on a bench. So as to not compound your issue by effing up the paint.
It will sand out with many steps of rough to ultrafine grit paper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel for you.
There's so much information on the internet, unfortunately a lot of it is bad. The acetone is a solvent and penetrated just a little.

You've got a heck of a sanding job in front of you. I suggest you remove the light and trim and do it on a bench. So as to not compound your issue by effing up the paint.
It will sand out with many steps of rough to ultrafine grit paper.
The one thing I find it tough is finding just a new lens. Most new lens come separate from the blinker but this headlight comes as one entire set. I can't seem to find one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts