E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Help me Help you!
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

having trouble with getting my halogen housing kit out so i can retrofit my xenons.
i know there are 4 screws/nuts to hold it in place.
I've got 3 off (2 top & the nut behind).
however I can't for the life of me get to the 4th one between the grill and headlight?
maybe its cuz the temp is 20 degrees outside and i can't think right when i am in front of the car but can someone help me out.
thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,304 Posts
I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 10" extension. It just fit in the gap between (under) the headlight housing and the bumper. I also put a piece of masking tape inside the socket so that it would grip the bolt better when it came unscrewed.

BTW, there are 2 screws on top and 2 screws on the bottom (at least on my '00 323Ci), not sure what you mean by "the nut behind" ?

If it helps you feel better I replaced my headlight housings on New Year's Day, which is not the warmest time of year in Wisconsin...

·
Help me Help you!
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slow 323ci,

i have the 2002 sedan facelift
so one nut is behind the headlight (i got it off)
and then one is to the side of the headlight sandwiched in between the housing kit and the grill.
the gap in between it is minimal, i dont think i can fit anything between plus i would need to retrieve the nut.
appreciate the reply though.

thanks

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,304 Posts
Oh well...

The gap on mine was no larger than the diameter of a pencil.

Maybe you'll have to remove the underbody panel and get it from underneath? :dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts