E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever my headlights turn on automatically, the fog lights go on with it and they won't turn off!! I have tried to press the button but it does nothing! But once I'm off the auto position, everything works fine!. Also, I'm getting false bad headlight lamb, which also disappears after I switch from auto mode to manual mode a few times. These issues appear intermittently. Any help, please!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYo2cfeujic

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello, I have the same problem with auto headlight function. Have you found a solution? I know this is a pretty old thread, but?

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
External lighting y I s controlled by the lighting control module (LKM in BMWspeak). It’s the module to the left if the steering wheel where you turn your head lights on/off. It needs to be scanned for codes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
External lighting y I s controlled by the lighting control module (LKM in BMWspeak). It’s the module to the left if the steering wheel where you turn your head lights on/off. It needs to be scanned for codes.
Thank you for the info. I will take it to my indy shop to be scanned, but a quick search of FPCeuro shows the modules are several hundred dollars. Maybe I'll just turn the headlights on myself. After all my car has 240000 miles!

·
Registered
2011 335i xDrive, 2003 325xi 5spd SOLD
1,314 Posts
If a headlight bulb is out, the LCM will automatically kick on the fogs instead as a failsafe. For some reason I can't access your youtube link OP. Some more info would be good, like if you have xenons, or replaced any bulbs with LEDs, which WILL cause bulb errors unless it's canbus (Still no guarantee)

·
Registered
134 Posts
If a headlight bulb is out, the LCM will automatically kick on the fogs instead as a failsafe. For some reason I can't access your youtube link OP. Some more info would be good, like if you have xenons, or replaced any bulbs with LEDs, which WILL cause bulb errors unless it's canbus (Still no guarantee)
Thanks, darkfires102, car is '04 330CI, active xenons. Never touched by me in my 6 years of ownership. No lights out, everything works perfect manually. Must be the lighting module failing.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Thanks, darkfires102, car is '04 330CI, active xenons. Never touched by me in my 6 years of ownership. No lights out, everything works perfect manually. Must be the lighting module failing.

My E93 uses the outboard (active Xenons) as both Low and High beams. ARE YOU CERTAIN THAT BOTH ARE WORKING CORRECTLY? If the low is out and the car is showing a high instead, then you might see "no problem" when there really is one. Pull your car up to your garage door and place a blanket over one headlamp and check for high and low beams on the other side, then switch and repeat.

You could be right, but before you spend lots of money, I think you could do one more test. Obviously, this would need to be done at night so the Auto Mode will work.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
6,604 Posts
My E93 uses the outboard (active Xenons) as both Low and High beams. ARE YOU CERTAIN THAT BOTH ARE WORKING CORRECTLY? If the low is out and the car is showing a high instead, then you might see "no problem" when there really is one. Pull your car up to your garage door and place a blanket over one headlamp and check for high and low beams on the other side, then switch and repeat.

You could be right, but before you spend lots of money, I think you could do one more test. Obviously, this would need to be done at night so the Auto Mode will work.
The E46 adaptive xenons and your E93 use a bi xenon lamp in the outer position. There's only one lamp in there, the high and low beam function is a matter of a mechanical shutter that opens when high beams are actuated. Something really weird would have to be up in order for someone to have light in low beam and have it go out in high beam!

·
Registered
134 Posts
The E46 adaptive xenons and your E93 use a bi xenon lamp in the outer position. There's only one lamp in there, the high and low beam function is a matter of a mechanical shutter that opens when high beams are actuated. Something really weird would have to be up in order for someone to have light in low beam and have it go out in high beam!
That's what I thought too. On my E46, low/high beam and fogs all work normally in manual mode. I still need to check what's going on with the auto function. Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
2011 335i xDrive, 2003 325xi 5spd SOLD
1,314 Posts
That's what I thought too. On my E46, low/high beam and fogs all work normally in manual mode. I still need to check what's going on with the auto function. Thanks everyone for your help!
I am aware that facelift CIs with adaptive xenons are known to have wiring iinside the housing that deteriorates and causes issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.