E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 328CI, the headlights are off alignment. I believe the dealer messed with them when servicing the headlight washer motors (leaks).
Is there an easy way to correct the aim/alignment ? I've been back to the dealer once, but they are still are off. I've had a look under the hood, but cannot see any obvious adjusting screws, etc.....thx.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here is a great and acurate way to aim your lights.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

There are two knobs on each headlight that look like little bicycle gears. The one in the middle of the light moves the lights up and down. The one on the outer edge of the light moves it left and right. The outer one is actually under the front fender lip. There is a little hole you can put a phillips screwdriver into and turn it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Levels

Anyone ever hear of BMW's having level indicators at the headlamp assembly? Once of those bubble indicators to tell you if it is level/aimed correctly... Somone with a Bentley Manual should check on this. A service tech told me this, I thought he was full of crap, but I never followed up on it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
drevilkep said:
Here is a great and acurate way to aim your lights.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

There are two knobs on each headlight that look like little bicycle gears. The one in the middle of the light moves the lights up and down. The one on the outer edge of the light moves it left and right. The outer one is actually under the front fender lip. There is a little hole you can put a phillips screwdriver into and turn it.
I can find the middle knob, but
I can't seem to find the one that moves the lights left and right... anyone have pics?

·
Registered
220 Posts
jk330i said:
I can find the middle knob, but
I can't seem to find the one that moves the lights left and right... anyone have pics?
Here is a pic of the headlights I am selling:
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/6146/hidsforsale2.jpg

Notice the knob at the edge of the headlight? It is actually under a painted piece of metal on your fender. There is an access hole about the size of a dime which you can stick a screwdriver through.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
3Series said:
Anyone ever hear of BMW's having level indicators at the headlamp assembly? Once of those bubble indicators to tell you if it is level/aimed correctly... Somone with a Bentley Manual should check on this. A service tech told me this, I thought he was full of crap, but I never followed up on it.
The cars with HID have auto-leveling, the composites don't.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
drevilkep said:
Here is a pic of the headlights I am selling:
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/6146/hidsforsale2.jpg

Notice the knob at the edge of the headlight? It is actually under a painted piece of metal on your fender. There is an access hole about the size of a dime which you can stick a screwdriver through.

Thanks! I see it, but how do I get to the screwdriver? Through the fender or hood? Looks impossible to get to but Ill have to check again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
jk330i said:
Thanks! I see it, but how do I get to the screwdriver? Through the fender or hood? Looks impossible to get to but Ill have to check again.
Have a look at this picture:

Ignore the blue/green arrow (I swiped this picture). I circled the hole you are looking for in red Pop your hood and look there. There should be an identical one on the other side for the other light. That is your left/right adjustment. A phillips screwdriver seems to do the job fine.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
drevilkep said:
Have a look at this picture:

Ignore the blue/green arrow (I swiped this picture). I circled the hole you are looking for in red Pop your hood and look there. There should be an identical one on the other side for the other light. That is your left/right adjustment. A phillips screwdriver seems to do the job fine.

Oh wow thanks drevil!!! You're awesome!!!!

I'm been trying to figure this out for years and now I got it. :) :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts